quick grammar(?) query

I want to accent a word in a sentence. Do I make it italic, underlined or something else?

" It became evident that it not only related to penguins but emperor penguins"

This is obviously not the real sentence - wish it was tho

obviously the italic didn't work I want to emphasise the word 'emperor'

M

I'm trying to catch the gist of the sentence - not this particular sentence I mean, but assuming the sentence you're working on has the same structure!

Are you saying (the equivalent of):

It's not just that, trivially, it relates to some penguins - importantly, it relates to some emperor penguins

It's not just that it relates to some penguins - it relates to all emperor penguins

It's not just that it relates to some penguins - it relates to all and only emperor penguins

... or what?

Sorry if I'm overcomplicating this, but the sentence seems a bit weird as it stands because obviously something that relates to all penguins is going to relate to emperor penguins (cf. "It became evident that it not only related to fruit but to apples")... so I figure you must be trying to say something about "it's not penguins in general, it's emperor penguins in particular", but I'm not sure what? In any case, I wonder if tweaking the wording might remove the need for emphasis.

ok I will rephrase,

"it became evidet that it not only related to heeled shoes but the **height** of heeled shoes particularly"

Hows that, I mean, I know dont have to emphasise the word, but I want to!

K

I would always italicise rather than underline.

M

Definitely italics in my opinion. Underlining used to be used instead of italics on typewriters for book titles etc but these days I wouldn't ever use it for emphasis except when writing by hand, not even for titles in a document (which should usually be in bold).

Thanks guys - Im gonna go Italic!