Quit PhD... now need to find a career path

S

Hi everyone,

I posted in this forum in July, I think, when I was considering quitting my PhD. I've now gone ahead and formally interrupted my studies for one year from this November onwards. Basically, it's for all the reasons I mentioned in my last post: not confident I had a suitable thesis, problems with writing, and so on. My PhD was in political theory/philosophy and often it felt I was just writing a book 'from scratch' with little to go on (i.e., not like a more social science-orientated thesis, with methdology, results, analysis).

Anyway, while I have interrupted my PhD, at this stage I don't really intend to return to it (and would be difficult due to lack of funding). I've gone through the whole process of mourning (which looking back started even while I was still doing the PhD a year ago, when I realised I didn't really want to do it, even though my supervisor was still very supportive). I'm now ready to move on to something new, and have already got a part-time job with a company that puts on supplementary classes for kids in English, Maths and Science, and will hopefully be getting work experience in the area of information science/information systems/IT.

This area is the career path I think I will go down now... Obviously I am am rather worried about prospects, having spent three years on the PhD with only a little work experience in my gap year when I was 18/19 (though as I have emphasized on my CV I have ample experience in uni extracurricular societies/politics, got a first in my undergrad degree, etc.). As I said, I want to get some work experience this year, and I am also considering doing an information systems or computer science MSc next September. While I am hesitant about doing another postgraduate course, I feel that this is the only way to get a job with a more vocational/technical orientation, and which would hopefully have long-term prospects.

So, I'm just wondering what other people did when they quit a PhD or moved into a different career area other than acadmeia/teaching, and also what people think of the prospects for getting an job in industry in the areas I mentioned above.

Thanks! :)

C

A couple of things.....

Can you not write something up and see if you can get an MRes out of it? I'm sure after three years a supervisor isn't going to want you to walk away completely empty handed, AND if you have lasted three years then you must have the ability to qualify for an MRes, surely? I don't think they let you get passed the first year if you don't???

Secondly, how is your Maths? It is a very big switch to go from an Arts based degree to a Computer Science masters degree. I genuinely think it wouldn't be possible UNLESS you have some very strong experience in it from elsewhere. Most (not all) computer science post graduates will have A level maths. Those that don't have gained experience in scientific mathematics elsewhere.

I think you *might* have a better chance at running with an IT masters...

On other thought, if you are gaining work experience with those that are providing supplimentary classes to kids....have you considered doing a PGCE instead? It kinda fits with what you are doing.