Quitting and applying to a different PhD

C

I embarked upon a PhD in October this year. I was reluctant to take this project on due to a number of reasons, but was eventually convinced to give it a try because apparently I would have been stupid not to take on a good paid studentship and plus it might not be so bad after all.
Two months later and I feel like the greatest fool for listening to others as opposed to my feelings.
I really enjoy and want to do research and a PhD, but I am just not enjoying the research I am currently doing. This is not helped by the fact that my project was turned around completely all of a sudden, because apparently the initial idea wouldn’t work out…
Plus, starting this PhD required me to move to a new place yet again. I was required to move around quite a lot when I was younger due to my parent’s job and only moved back home to the UK when I started my undergrad. I know this might not seem like such a big deal to some, but starting yet “another” life was something that I really, really wanted to avoid for the time being because I just cannot deal with packing my bags every few years and start all over again.
I’ve recently seen a project that would not only be much more suitable for my interests and later career aspirations, yet it would also be back home were I did my undergrad and MSc. However, I am wondering how do I explain that I want to quit my PhD, being only 2 months in? I just feel like pretending that I am not doing anything at the moment, but then I know that I cannot do that :-(...

D

Quote From Ceruse:

Plus, starting this PhD required me to move to a new place yet again. I was required to move around quite a lot when I was younger due to my parent’s job and only moved back home to the UK when I started my undergrad. I know this might not seem like such a big deal to some, but starting yet “another” life was something that I really, really wanted to avoid for the time being because I just cannot deal with packing my bags every few years and start all over again.
I’ve recently seen a project that would not only be much more suitable for my interests and later career aspirations, yet it would also be back home were I did my undergrad and MSc. However, I am wondering how do I explain that I want to quit my PhD, being only 2 months in? I just feel like pretending that I am not doing anything at the moment, but then I know that I cannot do that :-(...

I can very much relate to your post. I HATE having to move around for jobs and making "another" life and I've had to do it a few times now but I'm not prepared to do it anymore. I'm partly doing my PhD because it allows me to remain at home but although I work on the PhD I feel detached from it. I really wanted to research another area but for a number of reasons couldn't. I've learned from experience that sometimes you need to do what is right for you. You're only two months in and so if you do decide to leave it might not be worthwhile putting on your CV. However, you could also declare it but dress it in such a way that it should be apparent that it was the right decision to leave the PhD sooner rather than later.

Wishing you all the best.

P

Ceruse, if you are sure that quitting the PhD and starting a new one somewhere else is the right thing to do, it is better to do it now than later (why wait?). Your supervisors will find annoying at first (no doubt about that), but if you are doing a PhD, you are in for the long haul, and you definitely have to be motivated to do it, if not love your subject. (and if you are funded and leave at this stage, your department might be able to give the position to someone else?!? - so don't let that be a consideration).
Lots of people have posted similar stories on the forum, and some excellent advice has been given on how to help making up your mind, so I'd recommend to browse/search the forum a bit.
Good luck.

A

Hi Ceruse, You might want to take a look at another thread which relates to 'Failed PhD - Any Advice?' You will read about a litany of academics causing significant problems for students in research.

You learned useful techniques and know something about how to write up results. Please take a look at this thread and be shocked at the closed mindedness of universities twards students when it suits their own political agenda.