quitting job for phd and the usual doubts

Z

I'm 30, been offered a funded phd in science at a top London university after working 6 years in environmental consultancy. I'm enthusiastic for the project, but just as I was about to give my leave notice to my current employer, without asking I'm getting promoted with a good salary raise.
Now, even though I've now done months of introspection, even though I have interest in the project and rejoice to take a long aspired-to path to research, suddenly it feels I'm throwing away a chance to make ... cash (the devil) and easy professional recognition (although mostly typing bullshit presentations).
I think no one has an answer ready for me, but if you've had a comparable experience I'm still interested to hear your about how you feel after you've made your choice. THanks and good luck.

B

At the end of the day ... the decision is yours, and you know what is right for you.

Personally, I would keep your existing job (if you find it bearable) and consider doing a PhD part-time (... this is difficult - but all PhD's whether full-time or part-time are - and is most certainly doable).

Remember ... the initial thrill of doing research doesn't last for a very long time once you actually start work.

Also, there is no guarantee at the end of a PhD of having a job/being able to walk into another job.

By the way, I left working in industry to pursue study again ... so I am talking from 'experience'.

Good luck with making a decision.

Z

Goods
Thanks for your opinion, appreciated.
Part time doesn't seem possible, the phd being constrained by EU project partners & bursary. And in a way it maybe best do it full time "quick" than dragging on part-time.
I'm wondering if phd life's really as miserable as most postings suggest however - apart for the lack of finance.
Anyway - i'll go on thinking over. Best of luck to you.

D

Hi Zokozoko, I had a similar dilemma and am very glad i chose to do the PhD. At the end of the day it depends how much you enjoy your current job, presmably not that much or you wouldn't have applied for the PhD. I chose to follow something that interests me rather than just staying somewhere for the money, because i eventually realised i would rather be doing something i enjoyed. But it all depends how much you enjoy your current job. Also i do agree with what was previously said about a PhD having no guarantee of better job prospects. Plus people on here usually only post to complain or winge about something so dont take too much notice of them as just about everyone i have spoken to in person has said how much they enjoy it.

S

I ditched a very good job (like you was looking at a promotion and large pay rise) to do the PhD and definately made the right decision. I can't lie - the drop in money and giving up a promising career was, and still is, tough. BUT there's no comparison with which I'd rather be doing. I love the PhD and have no regrets

Z

Sixkitten
Thank you (& my earlier respondents) for your advice, real kind & useful. It hasn't been easy but now the matter is solved, as I have opted for the PhD.
Good luck to you all and regards.
Zoko

S

You won't regret it. There will be days (usually when you have no money) you ask yourself WHY WHY WHY am I not more sensible and kept my sensible job and just go about a sensible safe life, but you won't regret it!

P

I am 31 & nearly at the end of my 2nd year. I was in exactly the same postion as you when I started. I had a well paid job in the media in a dep that receives 100's of letters a week asking for work experience, and after a 3 year gap know there is no way back in. When the time came to leave I really deliberated and actually stayed on 2 months longer at work even though I was enrolled and officially doing the PhD full time!
Basically I love my life as it is now. The fact that its 9:30 and I am sat in my PJ's having a cuppa & after I've had a shower in a minute I'll stroll into Uni, do a couple of hours teaching, read the paper etc. I hardly ever get on the tube these days which is bliss.
I see all my old work friends so stressed and tired & money money money, and one of my best mates has just made it to MD of an ad agency and her hair is falling out as a result of the stress.

P

pea continued.. ( hey I think this is my 1st ever continue )

You will get the odd day where you think b&**O*ks what have I done????
But for me, it is usually fleeting. Research has loads of 'lifestyle' benefits & when its all going well -you just can't beat the feeling. Now and again I look at the salary for FT lecturers & research post and grown inwardly at the fact that when I finish the thesis and get a FT research post I'll be earning signficantly less than in my last media job, even though its 3 years on, but money really isn't everything & I suspect it is slightly better for science-science ( am socsci) in the salary dep.
I say go for it - you'll do amazing. Good luck.

S

Yep, me too. I gave up a well-paid job in London to do this and I know which I prefer by a country mile - the PhD. It's a pretty good lifestyle and most people really enjoy it. I live reasonably comfortably on the money, but at the end of the day I love researching and I love the teaching so you can guess where my career aspirations lie.