R &R Trust issues with supervisor- need honest answers, but don't know how to ask

P

Why have they said they can't supervise you anymore? Seems a little harsh and unfair for them to say that, and then leave you without a reason for them for saying that.

Depending on how major your revisions are (do you need to recollect some data, or is it just formatting and extra writing?) - can you resubmit from your home country? There were lots of international students from my department that did that when their visas ran out, and just had to come for their viva after a via renewal. That way they had a break and got to visit home, and got the work done. But of course, they had the support of their supervisors and knew that they would be able to return for the viva.

I'd hold back from going in all guns blazing towards your supervisor. It can do more damage than good, and you don't need that on top of what you're going through right now. And unfortunately academia is so incestuous (there is nobody that isn't acquainted with academics you have to work with), that you have to keep a reputation about you. Or at least don't give anyone an excuse to use anything against you. I feel your pain, because I've seen international students go through being used for their money like you said and then left in the lurch. It's awful.

But, at this point - for your own sanity at least - detach yourself from the situation. It's all professional (or lack thereof!!), not personal. Get admin involved, ask for a reason for them not wanting to supervise you anymore, you're well within your rights to considering it's your money they're using. And if you can, request for a change of supervisor. Even if it is purely for the purposes of a quick proof-read (unless you can trust someone to help you do that - I proof-read myself before resub, it hurt but I managed it) and signing off on resubmitting.

G

Keyboardplodder- yes...I agree, I need more confidence, a different way of looking of what has actually happened. My supervisors keep underplaying this aspect of anonymity even today and keep tell me that it is something I should do a week before the final submission of R & R. But, I am having a nightmare about this and nothing is going to console me....

G

Hi PhdDefault
I think I should have asked for an explanation as to why they thought they could not supervise me anymore. I did not know I could have done that-another problem of being an international student and being vulnerable and easily taken advantage of as I don't know my rights-as if I have any. Thankfully, I didn't get any extra fieldwork to do as part of R & R, only additional material to bring in and to clarify what my project is really about. You have to understand that I am not in a position to question or challenge my supervisors. As told earlier, I need them at every step of Phd-both academic and admin-and I am quite easily bullied and intimidated by them especially by one of them. I tried to do everything they asked me to so when they told me to submit-I trusted them. However, in hindsight- I think the reason I got n R & R is to punish me for not anonymising the informants. Or else, basically, the correction is of six months-three of which is already over now! I do trust my supervisor's scholarliness and the professionalism infact, I think they are equally upset as I am by the outcome. However, I don't think it matters to them as it does to me if I fail even after R & R. How does it matter? Who cares? They have taken my money and i have also lost the opportunity to appeal. That deadline expired a month ago. I did not take the appeal route as I know that often will result negatively on me in addition to bureaucratic delays and no other university will accept me for a Phd and also, I will loose academic references to get both jobs and another Phd program somewhere else as I will be obviously questioning my supervisors .

What option do I have but to accept this outcome and hope for the best and continue to trust my supervisors will support me. I am not at all enjoying this -everyday I cannot help but think I should have appealed, and other kinds of doubts slip into my mind. Makes me question so much that I feel mentally crippled and don't know if I can ever trust academia. I am genuinely intimidated and will take time to recover And feel normal. My only consolation is that I have been given until 2016 to resubmit. So, I am taking this time to recuperate and build my confidence and pretend that my supervisors will write me reference letters no matter what and at least help me get a job if not a Phd. I am devastated. This is completely undermining my initial enthusiasm of genuinely doing a Phd. Not to mention the huge financial damage adding to my guilt.

T

Quote From Ganesha:
Hi PhdDefault
I think I should have asked for an explanation as to why they thought they could not supervise me anymore. I did not know I could have done that-another problem of being an international student and being vulnerable and easily taken advantage of as I don't know my rights-as if I have any.

How do you think home students know their rights? They find them out. They read the information provided on the school website. They listen in the introductory seminars and they read the handouts given during induction. They talk to other students. Not knowing is not an excuse.

Quote From Ganesha:

However, I don't think it matters to them as it does to me if I fail even after R & R. How does it matter? Who cares?

Of course it doesn't matter as much to them as it matters to you, it's your PhD not theirs.

R&R is not the end of the world and it happens to a lot of people. Just make the corrections and I'm sure you will be fine.

A

Hey Ganesha,

You need a game plan, and yes take some time to recover, but I think you are in a highly volatile emotional state right now, which means your decision making process and reflection is not going to be as coherent as it could be to handle this situation.

1. Step away from the mindset that you are being discriminated against because you are an international student, this is not helpful or productive and seems to be sending you into a deeper spiral. At a PhD level, there is an expectation that international students are able to adapt more readily than as an undergraduate, including understanding their rights and obligations. That isn't up to the university to spell out, or your supervisors, that is unfortunately, your responsibility as an international student to ensure a good understanding, you are an adult and therefore responsible for yourself, regardless of whether you are an international or a local at a PhD level.

2. Research your options regarding your rights. Go to the student union and talk to someone who can help you with this situation, including how to approach supervisors for continued supervision, or getting an alternate to help get you past the R&R mark.There are resources there at the university to help you, do what you can to utilise these.

3. Remember that while supervisors do need/prefer to see their students succeed, ultimately your PhD is your responsibility. As TreeofLife has said, an R&R is not going to be high on their list of priorities and you should be proud that you've made it this far! So many students on this forum received R&Rs and have made it through. Yes, its an absolutely gut-wrenching feeling, but it's better than an outright fail and it can be done.

4. Create a game plan for revision. Your examination reports will have outlined a number of areas that require attention, plan out how you plan to approach these and get to work.

5. Breathe. Remember, you are more than your PhD.

C

Hi Ganesha,

It really sounds like you are not in the best of places right now. The way you are analysing what has happened to you over and over is not healthy. If you are struggling with feeling down or stressed please try and find a counsellor or even a friend who can just listen and let you get it out.

When it comes to your PhD you have said it's already been 3 months since the Viva and you only have 3 left. Get your head down, do your corrections and fight for it. Your supervisors don't want you to fail as it does look back on them but they will be very time stretched so you need to have clear questions for them, so go back to them with your edits and ask for specific help if you need it. But ultimately this is your PhD and you have to do the work, you should have very clear instructions of what to change from your examiners so work on those. If the instructions aren't good enough perhaps you can ask for more clarification? Good luck!