re-submit dissertation required.....

S

Sadly, I just had my Viva and got a re-sumbit without more oral examination. Examinars want me to perform some more experiments. Are there any other people here who has the same experience?

It seems that everybody passed the viva here except me.

J

I know someone who's just had the same. Everyone's suprised cos he really had a lot of data. I don't know the details, but you're not the only one.

U

No award with major corrections is common although not as common as pass with minor corrections. It does happen though - a recent viva here had to do major corrections.

It does not mean you are not clever enough for a PhD - it just means you either have to do more work or restructure the thesis.

You will do fine - don't worry - just fulfil the examiner's requests within the deadlines set.

Good luck!

S

uh-oh. This is what I'M afraid of. They can actually ask you to do more experiments???!!! That's really awful. Have they given you a deadline to complete them by?

S

Thanks for your reply. The deadline, under university regulation, is 12 months. But certainly I will do it as fast as I can.

Sad, really sad....

A

My colleague had to do extra work, re-write and re-submit with a second viva. It does happen She got her PhD though, all went well at the 2nd viva and her thesis was much improved for the extra work. It's very disappointing for you but you will get there, good luck, hope the extra experiments go smoothly.

K

Can I just say - WELL DONE for your viva performance! You don't have to present yourself again for another viva, so the examiners felt that you were personally a confident and able candidate for a PHD - well done!

I totally agree with what others have said - major corrections is an outcome that is not discussed as much, but more common than people think. And it is not a disastrous outcome - it is disappointing for you, but you WILL get your PhD. It is an outcome that says "your work is original enough for a PhD, it just needs X Y and Z to finish it off properly".

Treat yourself this weekend, you deserve it - a viva is a bloody nerve wracking experience and you got through it!

S

Hi all,

Thanks for your advices. I have got the official confirmation that I will be given two choices: 1) minior correction for MPhil. 2) Major correction for re-exam for PhD without oral examination.

Is that common for people like me being given choices? Does this mean my thesis is really borderline of a PhD?

S

This just happened to my mate - he's got 12 months to make the revisions outlined by the examiners. He doesn't have to sit another oral exam, but the internal examiner can call for another viva if he doesn't think it is a pass when he remarks it

K

Hi Silentray

The element of choice offered to you is simply an acknowledgment that you might not *want* to undertake the major corrections, and can have an alternative. Some people do opt to walk away with the MPhil if their personal circumstances simply do not permit them to extend their PhD registration period.

Of those whom I knew who received the same outcome as yours, I know that they were also offered a similar choice as you have been. (IE - MPhil minor changes or major corrections) They opted for the mafor corrections as their overall feelign was "I've got this far, may as well see it though!". Your work IS good enough to become PhD standard - they would not have offered you the choice otherwise but would have just said MPhil with no opportunity of re-submission and examination.

K

Another point that I think is worth making as some people who receive major corrections so not know this...

Remember that if you decide to take the further research option and pursue the major corrections, you are still entitled to receive student registration status. Just because you've had the viva does not mean that you are no longer a student and cannot access relevant benefits/supervision/training from the university.

Your tutors and examiners will submit a report to the academic registry anyway, detailing the outcome of your viva, so you name would (should!)not be removed from the register (unless you take the MPhil option), but make sure that you are aware that you can continue to receive full departmental access, full use of library and information facilities, and the same level of supervisory support as before.

L

My brother got major corrections and 18 months to do it. He was really dissappointed and quite down about it after spending a lot of years getting that far as he was part time. He was so fed up about it that he was talking about not finishing it but he went off to do some travelling and take a break and finished and resubmitted. Now he has his PhD and is having a really successful career. You will get there! I'm sure it's fairly common. Good luck