realistic?

L

Hi all,

Just a quickie, my sup has asked for a 4,000 word field report by Thursday. She asked for it this morning, bearing in mind I am in full time fieldwork at the moment. She wants me to reference relevant theory too. Don't get me wrong, I'm keen to do it as its helpful, just a bit anxious at turning something readable round in that time scale. Anyone got any previous experience of this & how did you deal with it? Is this an elaborate test?!

Thanks,

Lindalou

A

======= Date Modified 07 May 2011 18:45:42 =======
Not sure if it is an elaborate test or not but it is a bit of stress you could probably do without. My supv has never pushed me for reports like that but I have a friend whose previous supv did and it became unbearable. Do you think this is the first in what could become a pattern? If so, I would do this one but then ask if this is going to be a regular feature of things. If so, you need to come to some sort of mutually acceptable arrangement. For a seasoned supv, rattling off 4000 words would not take much out of them. For someone in the early stages of their PhD it's more stressful.

I would take the 4000 words as a guide in that having a word count at least tells you the detail she is looking for. She is not looking for a paragraph, nor a full chapter of your thesis. 4000 words gives you an idea of the level to pitch it at.

My advice, do it but see can you find out (after you have done it) if it's going to be a regular occurence, in which case, she needs to give you better warning.