Really can't be bothered...

B

I'm (hopefully) in my last 6 months of my Phd. I've had some health issues, the doctor has told me to take it easy rather than work myself into the ground. Fair enough.
This week I'm not feeling so bad. But I'm having a major lack of motivation. I just can't get started, and very apathetic. Debating whether to just to give up for the week and start fresh on Monday, or whether this is really naughty..When I'm feeling unwell I don't get a lot done, so when I am it feels like I ought to make the most of it.
Anyone else having motivation problems this week?

K

This week?? How about for the last year, give or take a few days here and there! I know time is of the essence now but no matter how much I try to scare myself into working entire days and weeks seem to get washed down the drain, taken up by surfing the net, email and staring blankly at a document all day without so much as adding a comma. I feel I need a personal mentor or one of those grueling American sports trainers to stand behind me all day, threatening me into doing what I just can't find the motivation to do myself- sit down and WRITE

B

I know what you mean- the last 3 years have been plagued with lack of motivation, but for some reason recently it seems to have got a bit better. Probably because I've been ill and haven't been able to work that means I'm desperate to get it done. Some weeks its fine, other weeks nothing can stop me wasting time on the internet, finding housework that must be done right away, phoning my mum.......and on and on. Its why I think sometimes its better just to give in if you know your in that mood, but it makes me feel very guilty.

R

Well I am going to be a 'devil's advocate' here and say it is better to just take a day or two off. What's the point of torturing yourself by sitting in front of a blank screen for two days? You already know you're not going to get much done... So why not just take a complete break???

I did that last week for two days and I got a lot more done this week because I had a clear head. The only thing is, make sure you don't do this too often! Just every now and then

God I hope my supervisors don't read this forum lol

B

I have never been as enthusiastic about housework as I have in these past few months... I find all kinds of bargains on Ebay, constantly updating my watched items... I contribute to a multitude of, ahem, forums...

S

Yep, me too...facebook/emails/this forum/tv/housework etc etc are all much more exciting that work at the moment

F

Hi guys, Do you think this changes with age though? My mum is a researcher with 30 years of experience and she is a workaholic monster. When at home, she gets up at some crazy morning hours, like 5 a.m. and by noon she has written half a paper. This is soooo frustrating to see. Are we also going to turn into insomniac monsters If we stay in academia?

B

I'm not sue if it's age, but maybe personality and circumstances. I think nothing of wasting whole days now, when I did my undergraduate finals I lost my mind- I worked every hour I could and then used to get up in the night if I couldnt sleep to work some more. Probably something to do with having a finite deadline and fear of failure. With my PhD, I know I can do it, its just the doing of it takes time and is really boring.....
Proabably done about an hours work today. Think I might give up for the day, its clear it's just not happening...

D

I was exactly the same during my undergrad but since I've started my Phd, I just can't be bothered. OK, I'm a little unhappy with my research group and I think that's getting to me and making me not want to work - I guess that's my reason for lack of motivation, mine's so bad I'm thinking about quitting but then what?? I spent all this time working towards this only to give up when I get there! As for ur lack of motivation, I think there's no point pushing yourself to do something if you're not in the mood, it's better to take time out - look after yourself and come back to it when you're refreshed and feel ready for it ;) Get well soon, you should be easier on yourself espescially if you've had some health probs ;)

S

you have another member who feels exactly the same. Have tried so hard to keep myself busy but except writing. I do sometimes gets real buzz and write for few days but then comes months of empty page fillings with references etc. Some of the things that worked for me in the past(need new strategies now) was to keep a writing diary and update it everyday. This way you at lest write an hour or so and collect stuff over a week. The other was to go to a library and sit with my computer and notes, without internet this was working as well. keep telling myself I should sit and write but all I will do is write in this forum! (sometimes that also worked to get me started on the computer

B

yep, having another rubbish day too. Had a bit of a busy weekend, and now feel a bit ill - and have managed to do nothing. I can almost hear the minutes ticking away until my funding runs out but it doesnt seem to motivate me at all. I also seem to have mad moments where I get loads done, then hit a wall and nothing can make me work. It seems everyone I work with just seems to get their head down and work, while I've got less time than them but still faff about...

E

It's so weird to know that there are people that feel the same as me. Despair - what you wrote sounds exactly like me.
I am so low at the moment because I am 8 months into my PhD and have done hardly anything, at first I was all excited but now I just feel so demotivated. I am thinking of quitting but don't know if I have to pay my funding back cos just got paid the beginning of May... :(
I need help