Really frustrating getting a Phd placement

S

Hi All,

I found this forum today and have been reading the helpful comments.

Can somebody help? I have been trying to get unto a PhD program (funded and non-funded) in the UK but it seem really a daunting task after making series of applications to various universities.

I have obtained a Masters (with a 67%) score from a UK university and believed this should give me a very good chance for a PhD. I had a 2.2 from my B. sc - this was as a result of tough economic challenges I went through during my undergraduate studies otherwise I should made at least a 2.1. My field is in the social sciences. Though most PhD funding opportunities are for science related fields but there are still few on social sciences.

I am not sure what to do now and a bit discouraged. Sometimes I am tempted to think that PhD placements and funding opportunities are not so much given to applicants from Africa ( I am an African)....I'm sure this may be wrong but I really need somebody to convince me otherwise and give me a different perspective....

Thank you

B

I'm not sure about your difficulties in getting onto a PhD in general, but getting funding for a PhD in Social Sciences is excruciatingly difficult even with a first class degree and a distinction at MA. That's not to say it's impossible with your grades - I really wouldn't know - but funding is so tight as it is... and getting tighter unfortunately.

Good luck.

Hi Sammy,

I'm sorry to hear that you'v had trouble finding a PhD. I'm not in social sciences, but I think the problem may be the people you're competing against. With the financial downturn, I think studentships are at a premium. You're competing against students with firsts in the bachelor's degree and distinction at master's level - I believe that it usual to require either a 2:1 minimum, or 2:2 plus distinction at masters. This isn't necessarily the case in science but, as you say, there are more studentships going in science.

I'm pretty sure your nationality/race has nothing to do with it - universities are generally some of the most tolerant places going, and there would be no point rejecting a candidate purely on the grounds of race.

Have you asked any of the places you've applied to about why they didn't choose you? This might give you more of an idea - maybe it was something you did/didn't include in your application, or maybe it's your marks. This could then give you an idea about whether it's worth continuing to apply.

K

Hey there! It is very tough to get funding for psychology and the social sciences. There are about 70 PhD students in our department (psychology) and I don't know any with less than a 2.1 and an MSc, and there are a lot with 1sts and distinctions. I think with a 2.2 your best way in might be to get a research assistant position first, then when you have impressed your colleagues they might agree to help you apply for a PhD. One of my pals has a 2.2 and a pass at MSc and she couldn't get onto a psychology PhD, but after two years as an RA, her supervisor (very big name in the field) has agreed to apply for funding for her. So that might be the way to go- I doubt it is anythig to do with your nationality etc- it just really is tough to get the funding right now! Best of luck with it! KB

I doubt its got anything to do with nationality, the only thing I can think of there is *perhaps* english ability, but your post seems fine.

However, I know, in my department at least, ALL the PhDs go to people who are known already to the department (including me) and many come off the masters course we run and straight into a PhD, or an RA and then a PhD - its getting your foot in the door and getting to know the right people. An application out of the blue would be unlikely to get anywhere - unfair as that is.

I would suggest picking out a supervisor you like, going to meet them and ask for RA work (paid or unpaid). Then that is your route to getting funding.

Or maybe my uni is just an incestuous mess!?

B

I'd agree with the comments below about the competition - it's really tough. But there is another factor - most funded places in social sciences are ESRC funded. Are you actually eligible for that type of funding? You have to have UK/EU citizenship and meet residency criteria as well as far as I know. Have you looked into scholarships aimed at people from your home country - there are all sorts of odd places that have funding - the British Council are normally quite good about knowing those possibilities.
The other thing I'm wondering about is could you get someone ffrom your masters university to read through your proposal? If it's not strong, that could be one reason why applications for unfunded places are not working - that or the fact that the only person who could supervise your topic has too many students already and can't take anyone else on.

S

Thank you all...Bleebles, 4matt, Keenbean, Sneaks, Bewildered..for your insightful contributions so far. They will enable me evaluate every available options.

Please keep your contributions coming...