Recording Supervisions

H

Hi,

I read in one of the PhD guides that it is a good idea to record supervisions, just incase you've missed something or want to refer back to it at some stage. I would like to record the initial supervisions until I am comfortable in my own shoes. However, I don't want to start on the wrong foot with my supervisor!

Does anyone record supervisions, and are supervisors generally ok with it?

S

Yes I often do. My main supervisor talks A LOT and I find it difficult to make notes as he's talking so from a couple of months in I have recorded all of our meetings. We also have group supervision and data sessions which people often record.

I'm sure your supervisor won't mind, it shows that you are being attentive!

H

Quote From star-shaped:

Yes I often do. My main supervisor talks A LOT and I find it difficult to make notes as he's talking so from a couple of months in I have recorded all of our meetings. We also have group supervision and data sessions which people often record.

I'm sure your supervisor won't mind, it shows that you are being attentive!

Great, thanks. I'll be recording then :)

J

I would ask first, just to make sure they don't mind, some may feel uncomfortable with it - or might even think you might use it against them at a later date, if, for example you want to question the amount of support you are getting compared with others, and it would be polite to do so.

P

I do, they actually suggested it- REALLY helped me allot!

H

Quote From joyce:

I would ask first, just to make sure they don't mind, some may feel uncomfortable with it - or might even think you might use it against them at a later date, if, for example you want to question the amount of support you are getting compared with others, and it would be polite to do so.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.