Recruiting difficulties

C

Hi all,
like most of you (Im sure) Im having recruitment difficulties. Im just about to start month 11 and Im finding it hard to get participants for a simple online questionnaire on behaviour change (targeting motives for smoking cessation). Any ideas of how I can get the link for my research out to more people?
Thanks,
Best,
CaoimhMart

H

Whereabouts are you based? Is it a country-specific thing?

Maybe you could ask at your university for the link to you questionnaire to be sent out on an email distribution list - i.e. maybe to undergrads/postgrads/staff etc? Have you tried advertising on facebook/twitter/other social networking sites?

Heather

C

Thanks,
Im based in the UK. I guess the main problem Im having is that forums wont let me post the link to my reserach on their sites. The University does not use mail all list as a recruiting resource (although I think that would be invaluable to PhD researchers!) But thanks for the tips. I will persevere :)

S

The University may not use such a list, but what about individual departments?

S

You can also ask people to snowball your email to others.

Forums sometimes will let you post. You could contact the webmaster first but this is time consuming or you could just post and add a ps at the bottom with a note to mods saying that you hope this is ok with them as you're conducting a study, it's confidential and you thought forum users could help out. Also, if there are any forums that you regularly use, they may let you post there even if it's not really relevant to the topic of the forum itself if that makes sense.

H

www.clinpsy.org.uk

This website is used by psychology grads/undergrads/clinical psychologists/trainees - you can post links on there provided you ask permission and state your ethical approval procedures etc.

Cheers
H

C

Thanks all,
this is great. I was getting so frustrated and down breat with it! Thanks a million! Chin up, Ill keep going, my supervisors reminded me yesterday its a marathon, not a sprint :) Really appreciate the replies though, thanks again,
Best,
CM