Referees

G

I’m in my third year of my zoology degree and was wondering about the importance placed upon academic referees. I’m on a large degree I don’t honestly think I have a lecturer (nevermind three) who knows me well enough for me to ask this of them. I want to do an MSc or PhD but wonder how this will affect my chances.
thanks

G

If the application states 3 academic referees then 3 it is I'm afraid. My 3 referees were my advisor of studies, my final year project supervisor and my course co-ordinator. My course co-ordinator didn't know me too well and asked my project supervisor for his opinion since I had more contact with him. If you ask someone to be your referee I'm sure they'll do their research before they write about you.

Very few people in any profession rely on knowing people to give a reference, they look up what information they have on you on file and regurgitate it. Your final year project supervisor and your tutor (if you have one) will be the people to ask. Obviously the project supervisor is the important one. If you're applying before you've started your final year project, don't worry - it's not your fault and no one can hold this against you. Your course coordinator will be used to churning out references for his/her students all the time and so long as you turn up to the odd lecture, pass your exams and don't smell you'll get a passable reference.

G

dont worry.just put down the names of 3 lectures.am sure they will do it for you