Reference managing software

H

Hey guys, I know that there are a number of software packages out there which manage academic references. I am interested to know if any of you use them, are they useful and which is the best one for a PC?

S

I use EndNote X which plugs rather nicely into MS Word. Personally, I think it's brilliant as I can manage my entire reading list in the software and print off lists of articles I need to go and get from the library. You can also write notes for each reference which I use to write a few words on why I'm using this reference. Obviously, there's the straightforward stuff of it automatically generating your bibliography as you cite articles in your text.

That said, I haven't seen any of the others, but I consider this a godsend because it keeps my reading tightly organised.

T

If you use the search function on the toolbar above there have been quite a few threads discussing endnote

T

I use end note too.. just started using it but so far so good :o)

H

Another vote for endnote, I have it installed on my uni computer, so no need to pay for it

M

i am also going for JabRef - little tool, easy to import and export, runs everywhere, user-friendly and open-source so i can program my very own add-ons

T

Hehe yeah I wrote out my references manually for my dissertation.. It was a blooming nightmare!!

P

I think I got my copy of Endnote from the IT people at my uni - maybe if you contact the equivalent at your uni, they may have a similar legally-licensed-software-for-postgrads set up too.

S

Ditto here, the uni gave to me under their site licence. Worth asking.

H

Thanks guys, I've actually opted for Endnote X, so far so good