Reference question again !

S

I am again in need of referencing help !
I found once nice line (original idea of Hanny) which I wanted to quote. But, Hanny's idea is paraphrased by Brullie. I quoted as:

“all we need to have is patience on what we do” (Hanny, 2000 cited in Brullie, 2005: 86). My question is: does it say that this is Hanny's original quote? Actually I quoted what Brullie has paraphrased. Bit confused now...whether the way I quoted is right.

What if someone has an original quote:

"Try try try hard until you achieve your goal" (Mira, 2004: 56 cited in Amina, 2005: 56). Is this the correct way?? Thanks, Swetch.

E

I think it's correct to cite it like that.

But, according to my supervisor (and I agree with her) this is the way Brullie has understood it. But has Hanny (2000) said that, or did (s)he say something else?

S

Thanks Emmaki for yr reply. By the way, how is yr work going? I used to read yr post earlier but now could not keep up with yr updates. Hope u are doing well.

--------------------
To continue with earlier question:
Brullie in one of his journal article published in 2005 in page 86 has written like this: All we need to have is patience on what we do (Hanny, 2000).

From this line, I figured out this is Hanny's idea. Since he has not put it in quote and referred page number, this definitely the paraphrased one. I picked it from Brullies' 2005 article, page 86 and hence gave the reference as this: "All we need to have is patience on what we do" (Hanny, 2000 cited in Brullie, 2005: 86). Hope, I am not wrong.

E

I think it's OK....But why don't you try to look for the original text and see if Hanny has said that?

------------------------

I'm trying to write up.....Really struggling as everyone, and I have the additional difficulties with the language and with my FT work....

Well, sometime I WILL finish...I know it!!!

A

======= Date Modified 08 Mar 2012 18:56:40 =======
I would agree with Emmaki that it's always best to try and source the original, particularly when your 'original' is from 2000 - you must have the ref for the original from your secondary source. Post here if you can't access the original - somebody should be able to get it for you.

S

HI Emmaki,

I could not find the original one. Now, I have changed something similar from other author. I found it more comfortable than being in confusion.

I understand...write up has not been easy to me as well. I too have problem of writing in English being int. student. I can't express what I want and meeting sups' expectations is always a challenge. Wish you good luck with yr write up. I am sure you will do it. Swetch

S

Hi Ady, thanks for yr suggestion. Now I have changed my text with other author's original text with similar expression. Also, thank you so much for offering help as always. You always have been so supportive. I should give you (gift)(gift) :-)

A

======= Date Modified 09 Mar 2012 12:50:30 =======
thanks Swetchha:-); You're nearly there, just another couple of weeks (up)