References for MA when BA obtained 1997

G

I am considering doing an MA (either full or part time - don't think that affects my question?) and need to provide two references from academic sources for most of them.  The problem is I did my BA back in 1997 so it's a long time since my lecturers knew me. How do I go about getting references?  Should I actually contact my old department or should I try to find others? Any advice from people who've had similar experiences welcome.
Thank you
GinBee

J

You should contact the university registrar's dept - they will be experienced in doing this - you shoudl always have one academic reference at least for a course or an academic job.

C

Hi GinBee

I started my MA in 2008 and finished my BA in 1998. I obtained a reference directly from the department - found the appropriate prof's details on the website and went from there. Best thing? He remembered me and now I'm doing a PhD back at that uni and was chatting with him just yesterday!

However, even if they don't remember you (I think we only bonded over both being from NE England!) they'll have the details they need on file and will get you something appropriate for an MA reference.

Hope that works OK