referencing a website - how do you know what year it was created?

There are no obvious dates on the website to indicate when it may have been created so how do I reference this? Ready to shoot myself after a day of creating a new reference system in Endnote as it maintains that Authors names must be in block capitals using the harvard system after 2003!

E

You have three alternatives if the date is not shown on the page.

1. View the source code and check if the creation date is included in the comments
2. Email the author and ask
3. Use n.d in the place of year Example: Surname, N. (n.d). Title of the web page. Retrieved Month Day, Year from http://www.website.net

Thanks Eskobastion. There was nothing in the source code and no author listed on the website (it's an EU project site) so I guess I'm going with the n.d option. Is that an acceptable solution do you reckon? I need to get this papers ti supervisors tomorrow!

E

I have been told that one should include as much information in the references as possible. Sometimes we have to accept that we are not able to identify the real author and use organisation instead or the year is missing from the document and we have to use n.d.

Hmm.. Could you send me the address of the web page so that I could try to dig the creation date for you?

hi eskobastion, I just sent you a pm with the website there (I hope - haven't used that function before!)

M

When I was taught referencing we were told that you should use the date accessed because websites change a lot. Check your dept's handbook!

E

Ev, You have got private mail..