Referencing images (Harvard style)

Hi. I would like to use an image (graph) from a book in my thesis. I've got permission from the publishers. It is from an edited book, and I am already citing the author in the same paragraph that I will be using the image in. Do I then separately add the image to my references, or use a footnote with all the information?

I have conflicting advice on this one, so I am confused. Can you help? Thanks...

C

Hi 404,
I am not sure that I understood properly your problem and therefore I apologize in advance if my answer is of no use at all.
I usually put all the info in the caption and, as you did, I reference it in the main text as well. Do you have other images? If so, I suppose that you will need to insert a list of illustrations after the list of contents with numbers, title, etc.

B

Hi

You can add the image as a Fig. and reference it that way. You make the reference in EndNote the same way as for a book or article, but choose Figure from the drop down list. Go to the section that says image and right-click and insert your image. Add the usual referencing details into the reference further up, e.g. Title of Book, etc. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the replies.

bakuvia, that's how I've done and cited with author, year in brackets as the rest of the citations and put the full info on references (added a few more fields to "Figure" type in EndNote). But I was given different advice by different academics. One of them is that you cannot list the image details in references, but just list it under the images/illustrations section only and refer to it with a title (i.e Figure 2.1). Then someone said just put a footnote. Hmmm.. confused.