Referencing images

P

For my research I have over 3,000 images, the majority my own photos but others downloads, scans etc. For my hard copy thesis I will be attaching a disk of these. Some of the images are reproduced in the main body of the thesis and I am debating now whether to include each one on the page I am talking about it (a nightmare for formatting) or to have a page(s) of images at the end of each chapter so they can be referred to. So that's my first query - which do you think would be better.

The second query is if I refer to images which I don't actually reproduce there and then, for example, 'jewellery can also be seen on monuments a,b,c etc, how should I reference them. Each image has a unique reference number and any downloads also have their URL. The information is all in a spreadsheet as well. Should I put a footnote saying see Appendix 1,(ie the disk) images 1-4, www.images.co.uk.

Anyone who has worked with images and has any suggestions, I would be grateful
And yes I have left this all to the last minute but the plan was always to insert images at the end so as not to mess uo formatting as I played around with text.

A

Can't help much I'm afraid Pam except to say that as far as I know Corinne also included a lot of images - it might be worth doing a search on her user name to see if you come up with anything good.

In relation to your first query, I would say that if you have so many I would think they might be better in a block together at a particular point stage in your thesis

Indeed I did!

I put all my images in a separate volume (vol. I, text only/ vol 2, images), but I had only 300, and this is what my Uni/ dept required. So, you may want to check with yours if they have something specific about this.

Each image had a full caption and I re-started numbering them from 1 in each chapter - if there is a last minute change, or a correction after the viva, you otherwise have to re-number all your images:

2.2 etc.

Your suggestion for referencing them sounds fine. I would definitely do it. I would also add a little note of guidance giving a rationale on why you put some images on a disk and others in-text or in Appendix.

P

Thanks Dr Corinne, that's really helpful. I have 420 examples but each has more then one image to go with it so I may just put one image for each in an appendix, then put the whole 3,000 on a disk to show all the evidence I have been working with.
I am doing what you say re the chapters and images so if I have to change numbers it won't affect the whole thesis! The same with charts and tables that I also have.