Referencing question

S

Hi all,

I have a query regarding referencing. I have a report which does not have author. When I enter the reference in EndNote, it comes as:
1. Delta Conservation, Livelihood and Land Rights : All Sorts of Complexities, (2006), Hongkong, Alpha Beta Delta Community Self Help Organisation.

Now, I have to refer (Delta Conservation, Livelihood and Land Rights : All Sorts of Complexities, 2006:525) in my main text. It looks strange quoting such a big name which is the title of the article. Any idea how should I do it?? Or, is it okay if I quote like this.

Thanks
Swetch

A

I know you have no exact author but is your report not 'written' by the Alpha Beta Delta Community Self-Help Organisation? If that is the case I think I would put something like:
a report published by the Alpha Beta Delta Community Self-Help Organisation on delta conservation (2006: 525) stated that ...

alternatively you could put something like:
a report by the Alpha Beta Delta Community Self Help Organisation (hereafter Delta Conservation) referred to ...
That might work particularly, if you are going to be quoting from the report a few times.

Maybe others might have better suggestions

:$

S

Thank you so much, Ady. Yeah, the way you suggested looks great ! My another concern was the reference listed at the back from EndNote APA 5th which gives the style ''Delta Conservation, Livelihood and Land Rights : All Sorts of Complexities, (2006), Hongkong, Alpha Beta Delta Community Self Help Organisation.'' What if the reader wants to refer to it? It won't be easy getting that reference from the organisation's name. Or, do you suggest to change it? Swetch

A

No I defintely wouldn't change it. I use Harvard not APA but they're not that different really. The main thing is that it is referenced clearly enough that if somebody (ie the examiner!!!) wants to read it themselves they will be able to find the report based on the information you have supplied. Therefore you have to have whatever organisation wrote/commissioned it, the year of publication and the correct title. Reports and government-type docs can be a total pain :-s

I found this (on a related-ish topic) on the net. Have a look at the bibliography - it contains a few un-authored publications and a few reports. http://www.uneca.org/sdd/events/land-policy/LandPolicyInitiative.pdf

S

Thanks, Ady. Your answer have been very helpful. You always have been so helpful :):)

A

Thanks Swetch, likewise :-)

S

Hi Swetchha,

(Just to put a spanner in the works, sorry!)

Try this website: http://www.usq.edu.au/library/help/referencing/apa#journals

They seem pretty good at all sorts of APA referencing. If you look down on 'no author', they have the following example:

'When a citing a source in text that has no identified author, use a short title and year for the parenthetical citation.

The in text citation for the online source "New drug appears to sharply cut risk of death from heart failure" would be ("New Drug," 2001).

Use double quotation marks for article titles, chapter titles or web page titles. Italicize (without quotation marks) book titles.

(Psychological effects, 1999)

For works designated as "Anonymous", cite in text as Anonymous followed by a comma and the date.

(Anonymous, 2007)'

By the way, they also said that APA is now on their 6th edition. Did you say endnote is using the 5th? Or am I getting confused?

S

Thank you so much, Skig. I am now knowing more about this referencing technique ! The EndNote I have been using has option APA 5th and I am using that. Actually, I liked the style and have been using APA5th...I think my Uni suggested using Oxford something. Looks like I need to change the style at the final stage. Supervisors have been checking refs but never said anything about the style I chose. But, I surely need to confirm before handing my thesis. Swetch

S

No probs! I wouldn't want you to hand in your work only to be told that all your refs are wrong:-( but sounds like you're on the ball;-)