referencing

J

Hi guys,

Quick question...

I'm busy writing my acknowledgements, etc at the beginning of my thesis. If you quote from, for example, a poem, or in my case a children's story, at this point, do you need to reference that in your main references? Or do you just need to reference in the text the author/ poet, year, and story/ poem?

Any advice would be appreciated! :-)

P

I would just do a little footnote (with whatever detail that you see fit - maybe depends on how well known the work is) at the bottom of the acknowledgements page. No, would not include it in main references.
Have fun - sounds you are dangerously close to submission?!(up)

J

I'm a good three months away, but am quite enjoying seeing what shape my thesis is taking. I've prematurely completed my title page, acknowledgements, abstract and have my contents table set up to update automatically. It's quite exciting seeing what the finished product potentially looks like 8-)

I'm quoting from a very, very well known childrens author, and his works are quite famous so think I'll just reference in the text. Thanks for your advice!

B

Quote From jinkim65:

I'm a good three months away, but am quite enjoying seeing what shape my thesis is taking. I've prematurely completed my title page, acknowledgements, abstract and have my contents table set up to update automatically. It's quite exciting seeing what the finished product potentially looks like 8-)

I'm in a similar position: have to submit in March, and I added my title page, acknowledgements, contents etc. a few weeks ago. It was incredibly exciting seeing it all nearly finished like that.

Good luck for us both on the home straight :)

J

I have not actually reached this stage yet, but in my chapters I have included bits of songs etc. and I have put their origin in a footnote rather than in the refs section. I guess as long as you put a note somewhere so anyone who wanted to look further I would think that would suffice. However I too will probably have a quote from a children's story, but as that is in the body of the thesis, I will reference that in the reference section. Your academic librarian may be able to give you the definitive answer:-), they like a challenge.