referencing

G

Why?! i have been putting my references on an access db...now my supervisor says they need to be put into endnote...that is fun!!! I have a load to sort out...!!!

G

If you've got a system that works for you then stick with it. However, might be worth you trying Endnote or Reference Manager, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to write my thesis without Endnote. It makes rearranging citations and creating bibliographies extremely easy. Also very helpful when writing papers as it will automatically input references in the style of the journal you are targeting. As you can download references from PubMed (and probably other databases) it won't take you long to create your reference library. Hope that helps.

G

Who on Earth uses Access for storing references? Ah yes, Reenyroo. Silly!

G

Its just that I didn't even know that referencing software existed!!! I even tried writing a program to put it into harvard ref etc!!! Call me sad...bt yeh! I will have a go with endnote if it will save me time in the long run

A

You probably won't need to buy your own copy of Endnote, your Uni licence should cover your use, ask the Librarian. With EndNote installed you will have extra options in the drop-down menus in MS Word. One of these is to " insert reference" (that you have pre-selected in your open EndNote library) directly into your word document.

How did your meeting go, BTW?

D

Can you do it the other way - i.e import refs from word document to Endnote? ;)

A

Hmmm...don't know about that...but I am using a rather pre-historic version of EndNote so cannot speak for the latest version. What is cool, however (if you're a biomed type of person) is that you can download references straight from PubMed into your Endnote library (literally hundreds at a time if you want). It must be possible to this with other reference databases too but I've never tried.

A

You can download Web of Science references straight in to EndNote, saves soooo much time. I love technology sometimes (apart from when I'm writing a report for an hour and that sodding paperclip in Word keeps scaring me by popping up when I least expect it and then initiates a crash, at which point I remember I have clicked the save button in a very long time - sorry, decided to vent)

S

I LOVE the Word paperclip - don't know why he makes everyone so angry. He always brightens up my day, and he's sooo cute.

A

I'm not sure what it is about the paperclip that annoys me? I have the dog character and he's saying the same things the paperclip would, but with the dog, it's fine.

H

The paperclip has to constantly turn into random things and makes stupid noises.

I'm sorry, if you don't know how to copy and paste by now, should you even be using Word?

"It look's like you are writing a letter, would you like:
- Some help with writing a letter
- Show me some letter templates
- Try and p**s me off even more"