reports and losing the will to live!

J

I submitted my draft report intro to my supervisors to check and it came back looking like someone had dipped it in a pot of red ink. :(

Is this normal for a first attempt? I am starting to worry because it has to be in soon and I can't seem to be able to get it right.

H

Hi Jen, I know it is hard, but I would take the red ink to be a positive thing. Firstly your supervisors have engaged with it - as you will see from previous posts finding supervisors who can be bothered can be difficult. Second you now have something to work with and develop. Perhaps type out their comments and restructure your piece. Then take it a section at a time. Go for it girl!

P

I can only offer sympathy. Sometimes I think my supervisor should save time by just getting a roller and a tray of red paint and rollering over the whole page.

I saw a rubber stamp once that read "I am too busy to read this crap" - thought I should buy it for my supervisor to use when he marks our first drafts!

C

A bit like this, maybe?

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=741

S

I have to agree with Hillyg about having comments being a positive thing. Although the red ink is an eye sore, try to read the comment and if they are not plausible, you can always get back to the sup and ask the reason for making that comment. Remember, the more mistakes or improvements that are shown is better than coming to the thesis writing point when you cannot afford to write things all over again.

C

Comments are good. It's a struggle for my supervisor to read anything!