reprogram me silly satchi

S

I just realized that I have a crush on my supervisor!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its so silly of me.
I cant stop thinking of him. But its not a romantic crush, just I always always think of him.
The more he helps me find solutions (to my work), the more I think of him because things got better.
I even missed him over christmas!
This is really silly. How do I re-programme myself back to normal!!!!

Right, I'm going to answer this honestly now and hope be-jessus no-one susses out who I am. I have a crush on mine to: I think he's amazing, and feel like I'm going to see Take That when we have meetings, but I also know it's only in the work setting thing because he is so good at his job in terms of teaching (supervising) and as a researcher I get a huge kick out of our meetings; however, I don't see him that often and it passes. It really does feel like I'm a tenager and I have a back stage pass soemtimes.

I also love one of my undergraduate lecturers, I care about her deeply (not in a sexual way, I'm straight) and feel this great sense of reverence for her. It may sound funny but I really want to know that she's ok, esoecially now she's getting older. I'm not sure it's not normal to get caught up in these situations, so long as its not a romantic thing.

I also get teacher crushes on my students when I see them blossoming into young adults and I can see how I helped them develop, I'm marking my own student's work today and really enjoying it for that reason. I think the educational crush is a two way thing.

S

hi eska i am so glad you posted. THis is how silly I've been---before any meeting with my supervisor, I prepare by reading papers or finishing whatever I was supposed to do (but this is great since I have motivation to work) but I am doing this so that I may give an intelligent answer if he asks me something (is this making sense????) and whenever I see him, I also see pretty flowers, meadow (and nice cows) and nice things like nice music and rainbows. OK i have a good imagination but he gives me this kind of impression. I also like it that he is a workaholic because I am one too. I also make it a point to wear something nice when we have meetings because when we have meetings, I am always happy and when I feel happy I am in a mood to dress up.

REcently I've started noticing his hair as well, which I never bothered to look (in the past) and also I started to look at his hands and how he makes his facial expressions when he is looking at the computer screen.
I am absolutely NUTS.

I had other supervisors in the past, my first one was also very good and also workaholic but I didn't become crazy (like now).
With all my supervisors, my relationship is strictly professional and work-related, just my imagination and now I am crazy.
Do you think I will grow out of this????

I think this allsounds ok, it's quite natural to have feelings of elation around someone who is changing you and your life in such a positive way. So long as it's platonic, sometimes lifes wonderfully fun and exciting.

S

eska are u there...
I just realized something else about my crush, I usually get it on thursdays and fridays; these are the days I see my supervisor, then saturdays and sundays I am OK because I have other distractions. Then monday is normal and from tuesday and wednesday it starts building up again!!!!!

I had my supper and now I'm feeling better. This crush feeling really does get me all worked up :-)

I've kept every single bit of notes that my supervisor's scribbled--why because he has written something there, even with very ugly handwriting. I dont know when I'll ever throw these away.

Sounds alright, keeps you on your toes when you need to be; it's good to keep all your notes! 8-)

S

Quote From satchi:

hi eska i am so glad you posted. THis is how silly I've been---before any meeting with my supervisor, I prepare by reading papers or finishing whatever I was supposed to do (but this is great since I have motivation to work)

Just thinking, my department seems to have given people opposite sex supervisors so maybe they're trying to encourage this as a way of getting people to work!

Hmm, maybe reading crap academic books (there are, happily, a lot of these in my subject area) impacts on your ability to fashion theories that aren't reminiscent of conspiracy theories.

S

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

S

I would like to know if you LADS also get crushes on your supervisors????? Isn't not just us girls?