Research Journal vs. Proceedings copyright issue

H

Dear all

I don't have experience in publication and I hope some of you can give me some advice.

I have submitted my publication to a research journal and I'm still waiting for the result.
In the mean time, I have been accepted to present the same research in a conference which requires me to submit
a proceeding paper as well.

Is it considered as copyright infringement if I use portion of the submitted publication (probably 20%) as the proceeding paper?

Anyone has similar experience?

Thanks.

S

======= Date Modified 12 Apr 2012 16:55:16 =======
======= Date Modified 12 Apr 2012 16:55:04 =======
As no one seems to have answered I'll give it a shot.

As far as I am aware you will be fine so long as you completely re-word it. This is assuming that the conference piece is a chunk of the larger journal piece. If they are literally the same work (not the conference being just a piece of the journal one) then you should not do the conference thing. This would be what's called "self-plagiarising". If you do not change the wording of the conference piece from the section of the journal piece you will get the same problem.

I am happy to stand corrected on any of this, but this is how I understand the situation.

Hope that helps.

Ninja edit: So basically, in your situation, re write it with different words and you should be fine.

H

Thanks for the reply.

I have been told I can choose to decline for including paper in the post-proceeding publication.

If I use similar material only for the programmes itself (not formal publishing like the post-proceeding)- would that be OK?