Research, mini projects, tasks and milestones

D

Hi everyone,

I'm into my fourth month doing my PhD and have settled on a research area and topic within intercultural relations but I'm having a bit of a paralysis by analysis...

I was wondering if anyone out there could share their experiences with what kind of projects and tasks they set out for themselves to make sure consistent progress.

It's daunting having to just make it all come together and I find myself reading and trying to write everyday but I still feel a little lost as to where exactly it is that I'm headed.

Any advice?

H

I would love to hear from others on this topic too :), I've just started!

M

I am also four months' in. I've also been in the same place - reading, writing but not sure where I'm going with it. I have a structured programme so I know when 'the reviews are due and when I need to submit ethics apps etc so using those dates I drew up an 'anticipated' project progression chart where I've laid out the deadlines and then made myself little targets to complete in between. I then have a few files of ongoing projects/tasks. Each task has it's own file (nothing fancy - just a paper document holder) with a large post it on the outside stating the project name/deadline, and a bullet point list of all the steps needed to complete before submission. I tick these off as I go along. It's all handwritten because at first i did fancy labels and then volume and turn over of work did not permit that to continue. Every week on Friday I look at the post it's and can see which deadlines have moved forwards and I put those files out on my desk for Monday. If I've finished my priority files for that week then I can dip into my pile of files and work on something that's got a long time to completion and progress on that. I'm always putting things in the long-term files like a note with an intereting ref to follow up or website to check or stuff a bundle of readings in so there's always something to be getting on with. I even have a general file for methodology meaning stuff I'll have to look at for the thesis. That way I've collected things from the beginning and won't be scrounging around for a ref I read three years ago. Then on those afternoons when you really can't read/write but you don't want to do nothing - I'll go through the files and chuck out any crap I've put in there thinking it would be useful and on reflection seems a bit off the mark.

It's a system that works for me and it's flexible because I know that sometimes things get manic and it's not feasible to sit around playing with files. So there's the anything goes file where I stuff everything I find that might be useful that I haven't got time to put in it's relevant study file. Then I sort at a later date.

If you are going to use this system use paper files because they aren't bulky and make sure you look through them and reduce the workload otherwise they build up and look like mountains of work. Paper files take up less space and are physically less daunting then loads of lever arch files.

Most of all the key to keeping the system afloat is to make in between targets flexible so instead of saying I'll definitely do that on Friday the 25th I would select the entire week and say it would be ideal to get it done by the 25th at the latest. This is because at any second your supervisor could arrive and say I found a useful reference that I'd like to discuss at tomorrows meeting so you gleefully take the single A4 sheet of paper turn it over and find 50 handwritten refs crammed on the other side.

I think it's important psychologically to always have something to do otherwise there can be long periods of inactivity which is thw fastest route to despondency and demotivation.

I don't know how feasible this system would be in later years but it works for me at the mo.

Would love to hear other suggestions.

T

Hi, I've just started too. I am with Bangor, North Wales, School of Social Science and I am researching graduate employment using Pierre Bourdieu I always find when I read other peoples progress that it sounds far advanced than my own!

So far I have concentrated on the reading as this is a new area for me. I can tell my understanding has developed over the last few months, but I haven't managed to read Bourdieu from start to finish yet. Out of the reading has come some writing - key definitions 'paper', writing up some of the interesting research I have come across and a presentation for a local post grad conference. I am also considering presenting at another conference, I am just waiting for feedback from my supervisors. I am also attempting to write a paper on a critique of one of the key terms in my subject area. I recently set up a group on FB (You've graduated, now what? Research Project on North Wales graduates) to promote my project as the research will have a longitudinal aspect to it.

I have very supportive supervisors, but the direction of the work has come from me, they tend to add suggestions, but I seem to dictate how it goes. This works well for me as I have worked as a researcher on a number of projects so don't need hand holding. On the other hand its not always so good as my research has been for local authorities, and there is a world of difference for writing for councils and writing your PhD. Sometime i don't know if I am doing well, whilst other times I think universities move very slow. Luckily for me I have a close friend who is a year ahead of me and I am using her progress to chart my own as we have very similar experience and approach.

It would be handy if us newbies kept id touch with each other as then we can maybe help chart each others progress, and be a suource of support. I know that i tend to have day where things go very well, and other days were I feel like a complete numpty - it would be nice to know I am not alone. I am on twitter tia1972oxo and on facebook (Teresa Crew) if anyone wants to This forum has been great for me so far tho!