Research Proposal

A

Hey all,
I'm currently in the process of applying for a PhD in Biosciences. I have been asked to write a research proposal (1000 words) as part of the application. I'm just a bit confused as to how to write it. I have been given a very brief outline as to what the project will involve. It is related to antibiotic susceptibility testing but I am unsure as to how much input the supervisor will have in the project design. I've been doing reading on the subject and getting ideas for different methods and techniques to use but I am unsure whether to write it with confidence and conviction or allow some element of flexibility. If it was my research topic that I wanted to put forward that would be understandable but as the title has already been chosen I assume that the supervisor will have definite ideas of where he wants the project to go and preferred methods. I have been advised to pick a method and a drug from the literature and just go to town with it and say "this is what i'm going to do..." but what if they do not match up with how the supervisors would pursue it.
I guess I just don't know what to expect in terms of supervisor input into the project design. Will I be advised on the best ways to design the project or just shut in a room on my own and told to get on with it however I see fit?!
cheers for any advice!

Hi Aqualung

I can see your dilemma and it may be worth approaching the supervisor for a bit of clarification - ie ask does he have a particular range of antibiotics in mind or are you free to choose.  You may also found helpful our article on writing a good phd proposal on FindAPhD.

Good luck