Research Training Credits...

E

Why am I wasting time I could be spending on my thesis (I work full time, do PhD part time so my time is limited) doing pointless essays to jump through hoops.

What benefit do I get from Researh Training Credits?

S

I've never heard o them - what are they?

E

There is a list of modules to choose from, some subject specific some not. There is even credits for making a poster. You have to do at least 60 credits - leading to a PgCert in Research Training but you can do 120 if you wish and get a PgDip.

Now, I may be being stupid - but surely obtaining a doctorate shows you can research?

I'd love to sack them off - but they have to be done before you are allowed to submit. Frankly, I have better things to do with my time!!

P

Yep I totally disagree. I am currently writing up an assignment for my final module. This is right in the middle of my data collection and analysis.
It just seems like such a waste of time, having already spent a few solid days on it.
My aim is to get it finished today. It doens't matter what grade I get as you just need a pass to get the credits.

P

That was meant to say agree not disagree!

B

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint!) universities are increasingly having to account to research councils for their training provision for postgraduates. I'd actually like a more formal scheme at my university, but perhaps not as formal as you have!