Research trip, New York - where to stay?

P

Anyone had to do any archival / other research in New York? I'm looking for somewhere cheap, convenient to the NY Public Library and quiet to stay while I'm there. I'll only be there for 5 nights in all.

O

NOTHING is cheap in New York. If you can avoid staying in Manhattan, and stay in Jersey ( just over the river) from Manhattan, you will save money, although it is still mind-bogglingly expensive. I am going to guess that the venues you are trying to get to are in Manhattan? Yes, Google reveals them to be in Manhattan. There are two tunnels to the Jersey side--Lincoln and I think the Holland tunnel. There is a train that runs from Jersey into Manhattan, with stops in lower Manhattan. There is a Days Inn in Jersey City-I think that is the one--that is much less expensive than any hotel in Manhattan, and was only a two block walk from the train. Room rates start at $139 per night, according to their website, which is roughly just under £70 per night.

O

correctin, not Days Inn, Doubletree--well, they both start with a D!

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/EWRWTDT-Doubletree-Hotel-Jersey-City-New-Jersey/index.do

Also, be careful of where you fly in to--you might get a cheap flight but end up miles from where you need to be, without any direct public transportation. If you stay in Jersey, fly into Newark.

S

Olivia is right..just returned from NY ...flew into Newark and stayed at the airport which is in New Jersey...much cheaper...stayed at the Marriot Hotel Jersey Gardens ....great retail park nearby...hotel was 99 US per room and it slept 4...complementary shuttle to and from the airport where terminal is for train...Train or coach into NY..train faster coach cheaper...food in Deli's very reasonable...had a great not too expensive trip doing it that way...

J

If you got enough funds, take a flight into JFK, a cab into Manhattan, and book yourself into the Sheraton Hotel and Towers. Don't expect anyone to be friendly, though - it's NYC.

J

Someone very clever said: "Manhattan is like cocaine - fun at the time, but killing you after a while". The same with Manhattan, there is something fascinating about the place, but many people are happy to get out of there.

J

Sheraton rates start at 200$, not too much if you consider the current exchange rates. Plus, you'll be in the heart of Manhattan and close to Times Square, 5th Avenue Shopping, China Town (10 Dollar cab),etc.

L

Firstly, you lucky lucky person. I wish I got to go on good research trips. There are some really nice church hotels in Manhat which are really reasonable and basically just owned by the church beside them. There are also some good hostels where u can get a private room for next to nothing. Have a good and productive time!

O

if you have the time or the inclination, its worth a wander into Greenwich Village, on Manhattan Island. Its a great place to poke your nose into various little shops, look at the street signs that are like Simon and Garfunkel tune names, eat pizza, people watch, etc. If you are on a limited budget but still want to get the feel of NYC, I highly recommend Greenwich Village. I in fact never got higher on Manhattan Island than this!