Returning to Maths to do a PHD

M

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask if anyone has any thoughts or experience of doing a PHD in a Mathematical area after a few years out? I have a good Masters degree already but I would be the first one to admit I am not as good as I was nearly 4 years ago.

Are there any resources available for someone in this position, other than my own books and notes. I can't seem to find anything about returning to such a level of study.

At the moment I feel like I would need to do another Masters degree to feel confident enough for a PHD.

If anyone has any thoughts or guidance it would be greatly appreciated, even if you feel a return to this level is a step too far.

T

Hello,

I took a 5 year gap between my Biology MSc and PhD. I changed fields slightly as well so I also felt as if I knew nothing when I returned, but then I realised that everyone else felt this way too! It's probably a bit different with maths but if you put the effort in you can definitely catch up.

You don't need to do another MSc. Just find PhD positions that you are interested in and read around the subject to familiarize yourself again. If you get an interview, explain how what you've been doing during the gap years will enable you to be a good PhD student.

S

Mikeliv88:

I don't really see your point. One of my best friends did his PhD after roughly 10years out in Computational Fluid Simulation (or something similar weird ;-) and he's a professor now. I was out of my (social science) subject for many years, and I am pretty confident (I know, don't praise the day before the night). Further, I agree with TreeOfLife; you're not the only returner in the world.

I would consider these few thoughts:
1) Check with the programme itself and go through the class descriptions. Do you think you can take on it?
2) You probably didn't sleep the last 4 years, but gained knowledge in other areas, wheresoever. Include that, don't make it a waste. It's an asset.
3) Being out connects you to the real world, meaning: your motivation is different. You are older, you know what working means, you know how important it is to bring money home and to stay focused. Another asset, and useful, too.

Best, Sebastian.