Review Panel woes and doubting ability

P

I'm feeling despondent today after a not so good end of first year review. My panel were concerned about my literature review and have asked me to rewrite it and resubmit in two months. They also want me to redo my chapter outlines and produce something 10-12 pages long which seems quite big.
I am beginning to doubt my abilities and wonder if I can imporve enough to meet their standards. I feel a bit annoyed though because my supervisor didn't even know what a literature review was and that I had to do one so I had no help from her on how to write it.
Luckily I do not have her anymore as my main supervisor is back from a year's leave. There is no point in complaining about Sup1 but I wonder if I should mention to new Sup that I feel I have not had enough guidance on what I should have done for the first year review.
I have asked her for an urgent meeting to discuss it further.

V

Hello- sorry to hear about your situation. A similar thing happened to me in that I was told to submit my work early for the review by my supervisors who told me it was good enough, and then the examiners told me to completely rewrite the whole thing in two months. So wasnt very pleased- but on the plus side, I did do it and I have now passed. It sounds to me that your supervisors should have given you more input (and mine should have given me more!), but, and though its easier said than done, try not to feel too despondent- its not really a reflection on you, just how you have been guided in the wrong direction. I now feel much more confident in my work and although it was very hard it was definitely worth rewriting, so it can be done. Good luck..