Revise and resubmit - help please?

E

Hi everyone... Had my viva in march, got a revise and resubmit (fairly extensive but could be worse - theory and evidence is sound). Have completed first chapter revisions and asked my supervisor for feedback. Got hums and haws and was getting increasingly frustrated with half answes and evasions, then this afternoon my second supervisor emailed to say that the procedure was that I had to send all revisions to my internal examiner and there would be no supervision or feedback from either supervisor. What the hell??? Can this be right - that you revise and resubmit in a vacuum and hope the damn thing holds together? I am in a blind PANIC now - what if I only think I'm doing what's being asked and I'm way off the mark? Has anyone else been in this position? Is this normal procedure during revise and resubmit? All help greatly appreciated. I hate this whole thing now...

B

As far as I know this is normal procedure during a resubmission. You should have been given a detailed examiners' report. Follow that as much as you can to the letter. And things should work out ok. I have heard of people toing-and-froing between examiners, to get things approved. They want you to pass. But your supervisors probably have no input now.

E

So there is toing and froing still? Oh thank God. I have asked and asked if I'll have any opportunity to revise again once it's been to the internal and if the revisions weren't what was required and every time I've asked the question, it's been ignored. I guess by default I just assumed that it must be the 'official' submission once it went to the internal examiner and if it wasn't what they wanted then it was going to fail. My sups are apathetic at best and I was starting to think I couldn't possibly pass. But there's a dialogue with the internal then? It's not just one shot at it and that's that? You would not believe how difficult it us to get a straight answer from anyone at my uni! Thanks so much :-)