rick, I'm just curious - what job do you have an interview for...

C

...in Sweden?

Are you learning Swedish too?

R

Hi Chris,

I would work there as GP

R

Chris,

no not learning Swedish yet, although I have got a course and tapes at home. I like it better to go to a school to learn a language, enjoy the interaction with other people amd having a teacher who can explain things.
Obviously there is a difference between speaking Swedish just for a chat, which probably is achievable, and to be good in it in it, which I would require to be able to work. The idea would be to go to Sweden for 3 months before starting working and then to learn the language. I am not sure whether that would be enough. What do you think?

C

I've been to Sweden twice before, and have Swedish friends in England. Most Swedes I met had a perfect command of the English language so I don't think communication as a barrier would be a problem at first. Of course, as a GP patients have a right to be able to say to you 'Aj det gor ont' instead of ' Aww it hurts' so over time you would probably have to learn. I think 3 months being immersed in Sweden beforehand would be plenty of time to learn good robust conversational Swedish.

C

Also, how did you find the job? And the interview?

* as you can probably I am quite curious about the whole working in Sweden thing*

R

Hi Chris,

thanks. I see that you speak it well. Do you enjoy learning the language? Swedish sounds funny, doesn't it? But then one may say that of Dutch as well.

Have you got any plans of working in Sweden?

R

Just seen your second message. The advertisement was in a dutch medical journal called "Medisch Contact". It seems that there is a shortage of GP's who want to work in rural areas, maybe the cold is also not so appealing, but then with the global warming perhaps not that much of an issue in the future! Other obstacle obviously the language, yet as you say most swedish people speak perfect English, but not everyone / elderly and as such important to master it.

R

There is also a severe shortage of GPs in rural Australia.

C

You could attend a SFI class for free:

Svenska för invandrare SFI: free classes for immigrants. You can register for these classes with the local authorities/ colleges/universities and other providers once you have your Swedish Residence Permit.

Information about SFI in the city of Göteborg: (which is great)

http://www.vux.goteborg.se/vux/sfi_English.htm

Lighthearted article on learning Swedish in Sweden:

http://www.sweden.se/templates/cs/Article____15612.aspx

Lycka till! (Good Luck)

C

I am competent but speak very slowly and don't have a complex vocab, yet. But it has only been once year. I can however read basic news stories and listen to tv broadcasts on www.svt.se (a great resource) and listen to www.rix.fm or www.sr.se

I think Swedish sounds beautiful - and the best way to learn the lilting tones of the language is to sing along to songs (as I do in the kitchen, shower and on the way to work) - it also helps with learning to speak at speed, especially set phrases.

There was a poster on the forum at one point who spoke Swedish too...I can't remember who they were....sorry....

R

Chris,

thanks for these websites, I will have a look at these.

RoqueAcademic, thanks, yes I am aware of it and it crossed my mind. In the past I have had an interview in London with Australian doctor. He was "very cool / laidback " with a long hair and wearing jeans at the interview (I was wearing suit. He explained that everything in Australia was easy, however when it came to the details regarding working conditions that was not so great (very, very isolated, having to invest first in the practice before earning anything, 24 hours on call every day etc.) so did not go.