Routine

Thanks Stressed I did 15 mins running/jogging this morning and my calves hurt now (the ones on my legs, not baby cows)

K

I tend to just treat my PhD like a (demanding) job, so it's usually:
8am: get out of bed and have a shower and breakfast
9am: Get into the office/out testing (the office is only a 5 minute walk away!)
9am-12.30: Work until about 12.30 but probably call into my pals' offices for a few random chats to break things up a bit!
12.30-1.15pm: Lunch
1.15-6.15pm: More work with a few short breaks to check PGF or FB or whatever!
6.30-8pm: exercise time! Gym or kickaerobics, boxercise, or normal aerobics :) Always a great way to unwind after a day's work!
8pm-9pm: Eat!
9pm- midnight: check emails again and respond to those that I need to, sometimes do some academic reading or something but usually take the evenings off! Then it's off for sleepies!

I usually do a slightly shorter version of that on one of the weekend days too, though not always. The routine seems to work quite well for me and I'm flexible with if if I need a day off for some reason, I take one! I don't tend to work at home- I like to be in my office so I am in 'work mode'!
Best, KB

I'm doing a biomedical lab-based PhD, so my routine varies quite considerably, although it might go something like this...

7.45am - Get up
8.15am - Have breakfast and watch the news (Sky News - Eamonn Holmes is a god!)
8.50am - Set off for work.
9.15am - Get in to work. Make a cup of tea. Read emails. Write down some kind of schedule for the day's experiment(s).
9.45am/10am - Start experiments in the lab. This generally involves making lots of solutions up, and a fair bit of waiting around for things to do what they're meant to do.
12.30pm - Lunch, usually 45 mins, reading a book in the hospital canteen (food = foul).
1.30pm - Back into the lab. Fret that my experiments might not work, and then I'll have nothing to show my supervisor.

Intermittent breaks from the lab for 10-60 mins, waiting for things to happen. Depending on length of time, I may use this to drink tea, check Facebook/emails, sort out some data, make amendments to my lab book, or read a paper, although this last one is unlikely unless I have 60 mins minimum, as I find it hard to read non-review papers in drips and drabs.

5/6pm - Get my results from the experiments, or put the things in the freezer so I can use them another day.

6.30/7pm - Go home.

7.30pm - Eat dinner and worry that I didn't do enough during the day. Watch TV. Occasionally do a pub quiz.

11.30-12pm - Bed.

1am - Finally succeed in getting to sleep.

Repeat ad bloody infinitum.

B

To be honest I either worked as a carpenter or fucked around all day everyday when I wasn't on site for 4 years. Then I went into a huge panic and worked every hour I wasn't asleep for 9 months. I passed my viva last week.