S.O.S

S

I have not read any of the threads yet and I'm positive that this subject have been brought up several times before. I'm sitting in my office now and feeling like a total stranger to my own self. I have to finish this PhD in 6 months from now and it does not look very promising so far. I feel that its too late to quit but on the other hand I don't seem to find the strength and motivation to go on.
I am just frustrated. I lost alot of frienships due to these frustrations. My question what did you do when you felt that you are in the verge of insanity and its too late to drop the PhD?

P

Hi SickNtired
Do check out what other people have said and the good advice given to others in your situation, e.g. check out the motivational thread:

http://www.postgraduateforum.com/threadViewer.aspx?TID=13256

My advice is to think back on when you started, or think of a time when you were motivated and excited about your PhD, and see the final phase of finishing in those terms, making it all the years of work worth it...
Just keep going, dont give up and as my meditation teacher always says "You dont have to like it, you just have to do it":-)

Also, people have talked about it here a lot: mytomatoes.com (or pomodoro technique) maybe it could help you work through the next 6 months?!

All the best(sprout)

M

I second what poppy has said. If you see it as the home straight then, like a runner, it can be easier to keep going and maybe even speed up as you see the finish approaching.

Also, when was the last time you had a holiday or even three days of not thinking about your thesis, being away from it all. Taking a break at this stage can help to refresh you (and your mind) and recharge your batteries to get you through the last piece. Even one day where you decide that you will ignore your phd and spend the entire day doing things you like. If you can get away from your home/workplace for the day it's especially good. Like a trip to the zoo or a hike up a hill.

Best of luck in the days ahead!

T

SickNtired
You say you've lost friendships due to the phd, do you still have other friends or family who can offer you a listening ear and some support? How bad do you feel really? If continuing is genuinely going to make you unwell then it might be worth considering a visit to your doctor and a proper break. If you really don't want the phd then you can always quit, but it sounds like you're more worn down than actually wanting to chuck it.
If it is more that you just feel heartily sick of the whole thing, many of us feel demotivated and negative during the phd course, particularly towards the end when the pressure mounts and a thesis just seems an insurmountable goal. It can be gotten over (in fits and starts) and most people do get to the end eventually.
I'd second what the others have said, take a break and recover your sense of self. Perhaps bring a new element into your life that you feel promotes who you are outside of the phd (an evening class, weekly date with friends). Then, use mytomatoes or your own plans to set small achievable goals. I find that motivation comes only when I'm actually working, so I have to try and achieve something before I can find the will to really knuckle down. Try to encourage rather than berate yourself, you will have slow days and that's perfectly normal.