Sacked my supervisors for poor academic support and bullying 6 months before submission

O

Many people awake at this time. Sorry, I should be working

J

in my department, supervisors prioritise funded students - usually UK students and don't really care about international students - who are self-funded. needless to say, UK students get more attention, they get to go for coffees with sups and invitations to publish with them. that doesn't happen with international students. anyway, that's my department - i don't know about others.

H

Bullying is not exclusive to race or the lack of command of the English language. On the contrary, bullies are cowards who pick on others to massage their own egos, pathetic scum of the earth! Also, international PhD students get more help than home students because they pay - about £10 000 per year! Home students are left to their own devices. Good and upright supervisors are rare like blue diamonds, wishy-washy ones are like autumn leaves, found everywhere! I do not regret taking the imposters to the cleaners, my only regret is that I did not have the guts to do it earlier.

J

maybe that happens in your department hairui. in mine, home students get more attention coz sups have to account to research councils on their progress. regardless of what international students pay, they are not given attention and are seen as an extra source of funds to fill in gaps in the budget. so sups are under more pressure to make the home student perform. i don't think its preference - it's more - consequences if a funded student doesn't graduate.

H

Just to keep you posted. Uni complaints Officer was sitting on his rear end till I started firing emails to the PVC, DVC and VC and yes, the wheels started moving - closure to be confirmed in the New Year. Located 4 academics who were willing to support me into the last lap of the thesis write-up.
Happy Christmas to all PhDers.

R

manda. that’s a very ignorant comment for a supposedly educated person. What kind of animal are you, a baboon? On what basis are you saying that it is foreigners who seem to be one ones having all the trouble? I am from the EU, English is my first language and I had major problems with my supervisor. It has nothing to do with the fact that im not British

It seems to me there is a little bit of British superiority creeping into your tread. I thought that kind of shite died with the British empire ;)

R

sorry manda, i think i misread your tread. forget about my last tread

R

haha

E

uhhhh, suggestion for rjb: In future, before you post such acerbic replies, maybe you should consider reading the whole thread? just a suggestion...

R

'british superiority'

haha!

H

Sadly, "British superiority" is very much alive and kicking. Neither supervisors admitted that they did not have the expertise to guide a study conducted in Chinese, although they had "some" experience (not first hand) in conducting research on Black and Ethnic Minority Groups. To them Chinese, Japanese, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis.....are all the same. And they don't even speak a second language!! Losers!

E

So, tell me hairui, how would a British student be treated if they went to study in China? I'm just curious...

H

Well, Eddi,
British students are treated like lords in China, precious like the pandas! I spent a year abroad in China as part of my undergrad degree. There is a phrase coined for unequal treatment- "positive discrimination" where non-chinese looking people are given preferential treatment whilst people who look chinese are treated like s*~#! Effectively, British born Chinese get a really raw deal in China, until their Chinese comrades get sighting of the British passport. And when that happens, hey! Bob's your uncle. If you want to be treated like a celebrity, go to China. Keep me posted if you do and don't forget your "Lonely Planet" guidebook.

Q

I am a white British subject and I was bullied to shreds.

Just thought I'd add that here.

X

Hey hairui--um, have you seen the number of threads on this forum from British students on being bullied by their supervisors? I assure you, this is a widely-experienced phenomenon, not one which only affects the internationals.