salary negotiation- any advice (must be quick!)

G

I'm chuffed to say I just scored a research asst role part time to work alongside my revisions. It couldn't have come at a better time.

They're trying to start me on around 19k pro rata, but the scale goes to 25k. I want to negotiate as the post is part time (always equates to more hours!), also they wanted a grad, I've got an MRES and just have to resubmit my phd. I think I'm good value.

It's fixed term for only a few months anyway so I won't progress up the salary scale in that time.

Other issues are the lead researcher is on sabbatical so I will actually be the assistant but will do a lot of the work on my own. Plus I have childcare to pay for. All in all, 25k pro rata will reflect the role requirements, my skills and qualifications and be more affordable.

This seems a good start but does anyone have any further advice on negotiating?

only thing is, I just had the call and said I wanted to discuss salary so I'm waiting for a call back right now!

G

ooh! I'm so happy for myself!! :D

T

I think that's all you can do really: state the reasons why you are worth the extra cash. Good luck!

H

Focus on the role and what you bring to it, rather than your personal needs. If you feel that, in practice, the role will require a work load that is more demanding than advertised, then you should be at the top end. If you feel that your additional skills and experience mean you will do a better job than someone who only just meets the requirement, that too is grounds for negotiation. But I would leave out reference to the childcare or any other needs as they are not really things that are your employer's responsibility.

Good luck! I've only tried negotiating once and wasn't successful but it's always worth a punt!

D

to be honest thats the normal starting salary for a research position esp part time. Full time would be in the 20k range. Do you have any previous work experience or you have just your degrees because this will matter as well. A couple years experience, you could argue to increase the starting salary. However if you do not just accept it and gain the work experience. What I find is that in the UK having a PhD doesn't get you a higher salary however it will get you an entry level role were you can progress quicker because of your education.