Same supervisor for a M.Sc. and a Ph.D?

C

Hi
I‘m wondering whether having the same supervisor for both the masters and doctoral level is in some way bad. I also went to the same university for a B.Sc. degree.

I‘m being offered this Ph.D. and I don‘t know whether or not I should take it. This supervisor is very good and there hasn‘t been any problems with our communications. This is the only „interesting“ university in my city, and for personal reasons, I don‘t want to move away. If I will not take this I will wait for a year or two before going for a Ph.D. in another university (not in my city).

So.. should I take this offer or is this a definite no-no?

S

Hi Camara,

I think u'd better take the offer.especially if there no serious problems with the supervisor. having the same teacher will help u communicate better and will help te work go faster. I'm talking to u from personal experience since i'm having the same supervisor for my PhD.

you say that if u don't take the offer now u'll have to wait a year or more. i think u'd better not miss it now.

C

I'm sorry, I seem to have managed to post this twice. Can you please reply to this thread and ignore the other one? I don't know how to erase a thread..

S

I would take it. It's not uncommon at all. My PhD supervisor was my Masters supervisor. I didn't apply for any other PhD and for family reasons I can't move. Good supervisors are like gold dust!

C

Thank you for your replies :-)

I really thought this was uncommon and that it would be frowned upon. But I guess that in the end it's maybe more important to show good thesis than to show that you've been to many different universities..

K

Hi Camara! If the project is right for you and you get on with your supervisor, I would absolutely take the offer. Funded PhDs (I assume this one comes with funding?!) are getting more and more hard to come by, and there is nothing to say that you will find an ideal PhD with an ideal supervisor anywhere else if you leave it for a year or two. I have done my BSc, MSc and PhD at the same uni, and it is actually very common to have the same supervisor for your masters and PhD, or at least it is where I am studying. Good luck with it all!

H

A funded place to do an interesting project with a good supervisor is The Dream. Go for it!

If you have any apprehension about having stayed in the same place, make sure that you take opportunities to make contacts elsewhere (going on conferences, networking at seminars etc). But one should do that kind of thing anyway.

C

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, this is a funded project and I think I'm gonna go for it;-) The plan is that I will go to conferences, and even attend short courses in other universities.