scared of graduate job interview - confidence crisis.

J

hi guys, i finally got myself this interview for a job in industry. unfortunately it came with this reqirement to do a presentation on a certain area of my field which am not familiar with. on one hand, am happy about getting the interview but am under immense pressure to perform as i will be presenting alongside undergrads who i could have taught given that am a seminar taker at my department. there is also expectation that a phd candidate and a part time TA will give the best performance. today i felt like calling and cancelling or calling in sick on the day. am really feeling out of depth. someone help me here. any advice?

B

Whatever happens, it will be good practice for this sort of job interview. I doubt that anyone else will care that you may have taught somebody else there.
I'm sure that the interviewers will be well aware that doing a PhD does not automatically mean you give the best presentations!
These things are stressful enough, without putting yourself under extra pressure to 'perform'. Just try to relax, do your best, and be happy with that, whatever the outcome.

J

thanks bigmac. the presentation is tomorrow.

P

Firstly, don't think of undergrads as 'not as good' as you - not saying you are.. but I was up against undergrads / MSc students and I just thought that we had gone down different academic routes... Secondly, practise, practise, practise - do the entire presentation to a friend, time it... see how you did - ask for feedback. Don't cancel as what's the point? you're going to be asked to do other presentations or interviews in your lifetime so it's all good experience. Make sure you have good eye contact and between slides take a deep breath, compose yourself and carry on. Good luck

J

When I'm giving presentations I often find that the nerves disappear as soon as you open your mouth and start talking. The anticipation is always worse than the reality, and you'll be on a high afterwards

S

You know the usual advice - to picture everyone in the room in their underwear?