Scary supervision meeting today

D

i have a supervision meeting - they are every 2 months, I am always scared of them . Omg - o have butterflies in tummy. I am petrified. I know it will eb fine. But i am scared. Agrh. Fingers crossed.

T

Let us know how it goes

P

I can sympathise. I used to talk to my supervisor every day in the lab, but as soon as it was a formal meeting I was petrified.

Hope you get that great post-meeting high afterwards where you are all inspired and have new direction and new ideas. Good luck!

F

Good luck driven .

D

supervsior had crisis. rather than hour got 10mins. Waiting around etc. Quite annoyed. Had to wait 2months for this meeting. Now going to give me date for viva. She doubts we can have a meeting before then. What joy. I have to cut my transfer in half cos they dont want to read stuff even though they told me to put it in. insanity.

F

I am sorry Driven, that is a major pain. Do you have more than one supervisor? I am just wondering if you can meet with someone else to discuss the viva before the actual thing? It does not seem fair to me in all honesty.

J

sorry about that driven. do you have a research group at your department? perhaps you can do a presentation there before your viva.

D

Everything will be fine!!!! It has to be right???? I'll sort it out. Oh well. I dunno. I am going insnae but it will be fine. Oh well. I will be assertive and demand a meeting. Its annoying cos all of my mates know their internal examiner and ive never met her befoer and theyre not letting me meet her for coffee!!! Agth! I should stop ranting and start cutting my transfer into half!

S

Would you like a pair of scissors??

D

scissors....nah - put it thru the shredder so they dont have to read any of it... reading work - whats that?? I surely cannot impose on my supervisors to read my work... whatever was i thinking....

D

Sorry that sucks!!! Flippin supervisor...saiding you good cutting vibes x

A

Driven, I sooo know how you feel. Had meeting today to discuss my first draft (of whole thing), which I've been sending as I've written with last chapter a month ago.

One supervisor didnt turn up - but had declined to read it anyway so I suppose not much loss

One supervisor (main one) 'hadnt had time to read it yet'

Third supervisor read it, explained that it wasnt written for him as it was out of his field, then proceeded to nit-pick.

And we had about an hour discussing examiners, which is turning into a nightmare. They keep emphasising how important it is to have the right examiners otherwise it'll fail and then asking me for suggestions and looking blank when I come up with names.

oooooh how I wish I'd done something very mainstream in a dept where everyone was doing the same thing

S

aliby, dazed, that's so awful! as good as it is at certain times of your PhD to have supervisors who are "laissez-faire" minded, there comes the time when their involvement really matters. they should be clever enough to realize when they really need to invest some time on you, shouldn't they! i wish both of you will be finished soon and have all this over with! good luck!

D

It sucks big time. In my meeting my first busy sup asked me what i found etc. I told like ive been telling for the last 4 meetings. No response. Today she was like BUT this goes against my hypothesis. Make sure you are able to back this up well at your mini-thesis viva. I am going insane. These people didnt care when i was doing my questionnaires and studies....agrh