Science PhDs and proposals.

D

Hi guys,

With regards to writing your own proposal, in a scientific field, is this the norm? I've read somewhere that it's more common to choose a project of interest from sites such as findaphd.com. Is this true? I've found very few projects similar to my area of interest. One of the funded studentships I applied for didn't work out, the supervisor of the project I really wanted to do had nothing to do with admissions. I've been trying to write my own, and although I have some questions in my head, I feel that I am nowhere near experienced enough to set out a research design, with the kind of techniques I'd use and all. I feel that mine would be a bit vague and light. So I'm a bit unsure about the whole PhD idea at the moment.

P

I think you are right that the norm for a science PhD is to apply for a supervisor-suggested topic, although I also know of people who have written their own proposals, but often in collaboration with a potential supervisor. I think one of the reasons for that is that it can very much depend on what instrumentation/facilities etc are available in the department, which are crucial for being able to actually do the necessary experiments. Some equipment can be so extremely expensive that no PhD grant in the world would allow you to buy your own kit outright.
If you want to write your own proposal, I would not worry too much about the details of the research design (but consider the available equipment, see point above). If you have identified a particular area you want to work in, contact potential supervisors/departments and suggest your general idea to them, and see whether they are happy to discuss your general proposal in more detail and see what is realistic and doable.
Good luck(sprout)

E

Doctor_soul

What area of science are you interested in? Are there any individuals with whom you particularly aspire to work, or whose work is in the same area as that which you are interested in? (You don't have to name names, just trying to get an idea where you are at.)

Ejc x

D

Hi, thanks for your comments.

I come from a cancer research background and I've seen, I think, 4 or 5 departments which concentrate on the broad area that I'm interested in. So I've been thinking of whether I approach them with a proposal or just with my general interests and what I've been reading in the first instant. Obviously with this approach as well, funding may not be available which is an issue. So on a side note, how do people find doing a self funded PhD (not that I can afford it anyway)?

E

======= Date Modified 28 Jan 2010 14:23:34 =======
Hi Doctor_soul

I think getting in touch with potential supervisors informally by email and expressing your area of interest is an easier starting point, than diving in with a specific proposal. Most funded places are somewhat flexible in the exact direction that the project takes, the exception I would imagine being something like CASE studentships, so if you find a funded project related to what you are interested in, you might be able to adapt both your proposal and theirs into something suitable for both parties.

I've not done a self-funded PhD so I can't help you there...

Good luck!

ejc x

Q

I agree with Ejc: Get in contact with potential supervisors. Maybe they currently dont have a project advertised but could possibly see opportunities and know where to apply for funding. I see so many funded PhDs in the area of medicine and I believe that as well cancer research gets a lot of funding from organisations dealing with cancer (let it be charities or industry or other funding bodies).