Science program in University of Westminster

H

Could any one tell me about the science master program in Westminster University, If it is good one and if the university is one of the best in England or not.?

T

It came 53rd in the Guardian Newspaper rankings for 2006

http://browse.guardian.co.uk/education?SearchBySubject=&FirstRow=0&SortOrderDirection=&SortOrderColumn=GuardianTeachingScore&Subject=Institution-wide&Institution=&Tariff=6

T

But it might be better (or worse) for Sciences

H

Well Westminster isn't exactly known for having a good science department so...

H

I realise why I say that, they don't do hard sciences, so what course are you looking at in particular? Social sciences etc?

H

Thank you all for your contribution, actually they offered me a place in the MSc of Molecular Medical Genetics and there is a possibility of scholarship. On the other hand I have an offer from Leeds in MSc of Bioscience without scholarship and it is possible that I won't find any funding so that is why I am asking about Westminster in case I had to accept the offer. So what do you think should I go without thinking about the University ranking and will I have less opportunities of being accepted in a funded PhD later if I did my master in Westminster rather than one of the top Universities.

T

Email each department and ask them what their latest Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) score was. That's a good indication of productive departments.

S

will you be applying to do a funded PhD in the UK or abroad?
And where did you do your undergrad?

I agree with H it's not known for Biological sciences, I actually did my undergraduate degree there, am now doing my masters at York university and I can say that if you can afford to go to Leeds you really should, as the facillities the department have to offer are very limited and also the research activity of the department is very low compared to other universities,very few publications in the last 3 years and very few of the academic staff are actively researching. In addition to this, the department is not well funded and so I think you would be very limited for future PhD study in the Uk.

The RAE score for the department is 3b (max is 5*) and it's ranked at 94 in the Times good university guide (out of 109).

Hope this helps.

H

Thank you v much for your reply shanghaichica. It helped alot to hear from someone who was there. As for your question, I did my udergraduate studies in a develping country (Sudan)and planing to apply for a funded PhD in UK. And as for the master program in Leads I really like their program there but I am not sure that I can afford it.