sco-sci's when did you transfer from Mphil to PhD?

P

I was just wondering at what stage people were when they did their transfer or when they expect to do it?
Was it decided my time i.e you'd done 2 years ergo the time was nigh to transfer, or was it because your thesis /analysis had reached a certain point? Had you already begun writing up & if so how far had you got?

S

We have to do it at least 6 months before submitting. We can ask for an upgrade once we've got a good draft of the thesis

Z

we have to do at 24 months, although as that would coincide with the end of the summer, they've pushed the date forward so its by 21 months. So, to answer your question, its by time, rather than what we've done.
We have to submit 30,000 words for it, regardless of what stage of analysis we're at (i.e. i haven't even started analysis! gulp!)

S

I'm not there myself yet but here is what I understand it is like at my university: There is a time limit which is normally 24 months but can usually be extended a little up to 27 months or so. You can easily go earlier if you're ready. Apart from that time doesn't matter but rather we have to submit three chapters of our thesis which must be quite well developed ("of sufficient standard") as well as an overview and outline of all other chapters. These three chapters would normally be the introduction, the lit review and at least one "substantial" chapter using empirical results.
So, to answer your question, here it is not about time (though there is a limit) but rather about progress. You can upgrade as soon as you've reached that stage (although I'm not sure if you can submit your upgrade material at any time or only at specific deadlines).

N

Both things I guess - at my department you have to present 2 chapters of the thesis with a minimum of 25,000 words but you are also expected to do that during your second year, we are specifically warned that there are few possibilities of getting upgraded after 24 months (FT of course). Most people update in May of their second years so that's approx. 19-20 months in.

This is for the humanities though.

P

OK Thanks for the replies everyone. xx

I am nearly at my 2 year mark, but a bit behind schedule - as I have been working on a couple of papers and got slightly sidetracked. Just concerned that my uni is going to blow the whistle on transfer time & I haven't got enough to show show for myself at the mo.

A

I guess it must really vary from uni to uni. We upgrade before the end of year1, sometime around the 10th month. We need to have done a 12000 word report (lit review, pilot studies and what we're planning next) and a detailed timeline for the remainder of the PhD. This document gets circulated to 2 academics selected in consultation with your supervisors, then you sit a mini-viva attended by the two readers, head of research and one of your supervisors to take notes and act as moral support. The head of research and 2 readers question you for about an hour or so then you leave while they deliberate and then get called back in for the result. A bit stressful, but overall worthwhile.

F

I upgraded in Nov 2004 after starting in April 2003, but I was part time. I think that was pretty quick for my Uni though. I think the 'norm' here is 12-18 months full time.

Hope that helps.