Scratching my head

O

Why do there seem to be so many people interested in doing a PhD who are unable to get off the ground with even some of the most basic steps--such as figuring out which universities offer what programmes, what the requirements are, and how to find a research topic and structure a research proposal? It would seem to me if you cannot even do these simple things you would lack the basic skills needed to even start a PhD.

Are people lazy, having a laugh, or is this really reality?

J

When I see those kind of "help me" messages, I usually assume that the poster will be making their own contacts and searches and that posting questions on this forum is just a kind of back-up to that.

I coule be completely wrong, of course. But I'm not sure why it bothers some other forum members so much

L

Unfortunately Juno, I get the impression that some people post as a first line, not as a back up. I think it irritates people as they ahve themselves put a lot of effort and ahrd work into getting a PhD and carrying it out and these people with the "Help me" messages just ask silly questions without doing any of their own work

J

Fair enough.

R

I actually think these "help me" posts are quite amusing. I think a lot of people are a little bit naive when applying to PhDs. I was no different, but the kind of questions some people ask would easily lead people to believe that they are taking the piss. But it does seem to be the case that they are asking these questions genuinely.

examples: help me get a PhD in XXXX area/help me get money for...

I would imagine most people thinking along these lines would have problems getting called for an interview, let alone being offered a position

such people might as well say:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I want to do a PhD for no particular reason other than I would like to delay the onset of the big bad world and I hear your fine institution of education has a nice bar. I sleep in till late and usually play video games for the rest of day so i am only available for interview at the most inconvenient time,

regards, Joe Smartarse