searching for Phd in economics only by research

B

Hi
I am searching for phd in economics by research without attending courses in UK ,USA,..etc but in official universities ;not distance learning,not fake university.can you help me to find it ?how much does it cost?

thank you

B

I don't understand? I ask for help because this sort of Phd by research exists in UK but I don't have information about which university in UK has this offer.
I still need information if one have.

B

thank you vince.but I don't search for phd by research through scholarship or job since it is difficult way.I will pay for univrsity if accept me.I have original unpublished thesis in economics.I am searching for a university to submit my thesis to them without attending any couarse.I think Phd entirely by research is cheapest than another Phd and rapid.where can I find official university in UK or another Europian countries ,USA ,newzeland,Australia to get this offer?
by the way,I am registered with www.moorelanduniversity.com ,but I read that this univesity is unaccredited,therefore I leave them
hlp me.
help me with information

V

Hi- not too sure about that, sorry. From what you've written it sounds like you just want to hand in the thesis and be awarded a PhD for it without it having been supervised at the uni your handing it into-I've not heard of that before (though obviously I'm sure you know what your talking about!) Out of interest, if you already have a completed thesis but have not been studying for a PhD and have not been awarded one then how did that come about?

V

Oh and that Moorelanduniversity thing looks well dodgy! I think there was another one on here some time ago, Belford university- I think its really only worth going with a real university (i.e. one that doesnt offer degrees in 'life experience' and also has buildings etc.)

B

thanks vince
I have two master degrees in economics and published books about economics and also articles therefore I don't find any difficulty to write thesis because of my expereice.besides,I was working in teaching staff at university.
I don't say that I don't need a supervisor.on the contrary, I am searching for a university that accepts me as a student in the phd level but I don't want to attend courses.
if you and another people in this forum have an information about universities ,please guide me.

V

Oh, I see- when I started my PhD we were meant to attend research training courses etc. etc., but I think you can usually opt-out of these if you have reasonable grounds for doing so (i.e. I did, because I'd already done an M.A. with res training). If you type 'guardian university league tables' into Google that should get you a list of real universities, and you can sort them by subject- i.e. which one is ranked highest for economics. Then I suppose if you contacted the relevant universities and explained that you have a few books already published but just want supervisory assistance and hence eventual submission of your thesis then maybe they could sort something out. Sorry if youve already tried that...

S

hey bedr,
well in swiss and german universities, for example, there are hardly ever any courses on PhD level. at this level it is expected that you do research. there are hardly any tuition fees (something symbolic like maybe 150£/year, max) and the only costs you have are living costs/loss of income.
to get into a swiss uni as Phd student you need an average of "good" (on a scale of insufficient/fail(3.5 and below)-sufficient/pass(4)-good(5)-excellent(6) in your master's degree) and a professor who agrees to supervise you, that's about all. you arrange with the professor what exactly your working relationship should look like. i think there is no (minimum nor maximum) time limit for submission but if your thesis is not up to standard they WILL fail you, and then you CANNOT submit it anywhere else on the world legally anymore.

B

thank you vince and shani
noboday from UK could provide me with the name of universities that offer phd 100% by research.I know one who started phd by research in UK but I missed his address and I don't remember which university.
NB:you know there is two types of Phd.the first ,Phd by courses+research and the second Phd by research.I want the second.

S

well as it has been said already, in the UK, it is normally so that you don't have any, or very few, mandatory courses, in your first year - no more after that. in my case - i'm doing my PhD in the UK - we had one 2-hour mandatory class but that was all. you agree with your supervisor if you need to go to any other classes such as research methods training and similar.

so follow the advice already given - check out the times or guardian league tables to find "good" universities, then check their individual PhD regulations. MOST of them will be without or with very limited coursework.
costs will be between 3000£ and 16000£ a year, depending if you pay home or overseas fees.

O

If you are doing a PhD by distance learning, the requirements on mandatory courses will vary by university--you can get that information by checking out the requirements on university websites. Distance learning does NOT equal a fake university--I think you need to check it out as you would anything. But distance learning seems to be fairly common in the UK when it come to PhDs, and I have yet to encounter anything that suggests its easier or of lesser value than one that is not via distance learning.

J

am looking for a reputable institution(s) that offer PhD in economics (Distance learning).