Second month of PhD!!!

S

Ok..this is my second month of my PhD..I am planning to visit this forum very often (at least once a month) to share my experiences with you all. My current average working hours per day: 10 hours.

I started in March 04, 2008. This is my official starting date. My interest is Fluid Mechanics which is a very fundamental interest in Aerospace/Mechanical/Biomed Engineering/etc (I am intentionally not mentioning my department details, sorry for that, may be someday ;))..

Update: March 04 - April 15

The main progress is I have defined my research topic for the time being. I have also read few very important related journals and still searching for more. Unfortunately (or am I fortunate actually?) I did not find any work done on my topic "precisely"! But may be there are some works done out there and I have to find out!

J

Well done on the progress so far

J

Don't forget to ask the librarians, they may know where to look, and if they don't they may search with you, which will give you an idea of how you should be searching too. This could be important for your future research as if they are like the ones here they will try to get to know your area, where the best sources are, and may even send you notes about something they have found. Also, remember to read journal stuff around the periphery of your area too, as sometimes they will touch on your own stuff, or have references worth looking up.

S

Joyce, you are absolutely right! I never actually considered that option seriously unless one of my senior told me what you exactly did. Thanks Joyce!

Thanks jmf81!

Update: 15-21 April 2008

I am in search of a very specific problem to define my topic in my chosen area. The other week I thought I knew the specific problem just to prove I was wrong later. It is becoming as much harder as much I thought would be easier! Seems like I am in no where..

Current Working hour: 10 hr/day