Second Supervisors - Panic!

H

Hi guys, I'm new here, so please be nice!
Background - started PhD (arts) October, a bit after everyone else had registered, went to see my main supervisor, who know and was taught by on Masters and totally changed by project follwing completion of Masters. Given a month to come up with a new proposal,supervisor ok'ed it and sent me off to start writing first chapter. This was end of November and hadn't seen 2nd supervisor who have been taught by but don't know well. So emailed 2nd along with proposal and asked a few questions. Didn;t see point in seeing her before this point as wanted to go with something concerete to show. She gave me some reading to do, which I done and have complied a reading list I would like her to look over. Problem - emailed and meeting is slowly being arranged - but I'm panicking its january and i haven't seen her - no-one has said anything but I'm panicking (poss for no reason). Just didn't want to time waste - but maybe by not going it looks like I've been lazy - can assure you not. Help - am I panicking for no reason?

X

Hollie, rest assured, you have no need to panic. You've just started your PhD, so the sups should be aware that you're taking time to change gears and get adjusted to PhD life. You've already been having supervisions with your first supervisor, so it's not like you've not been having supervisions at all. If you hadn't had any meetings yet, then I'd be worried.

X

Oh, and think of it this way--if she does confront you about not meeting with her yet, you can tell her that you didn't want to waste her time (sups big on this one), that you wanted to complete the reading list she gave you so you could talk about something concrete

S

Hi Hollie. It's still early days. As xeno says, you need time to read anyway so supervisor contact isn't that important right now. Relax, things are fine.

H

Hi - thanks for your replies - made me smile and relax after a night of total panic (such a basket case). I have regular meetings with main supervisor so as you say its not like i've disappeared, just haaven't really had need to see this one. Hopefully i'll meet her this week coming - when she taught me on masters she was VERY laid back so hopefully all ok, Thanks