Second Year Blues?!?!?

G

Hi there, was just looking for some advice. In 2nd yr PhD and feel so down with work, life and everything. Anyone else had the feeling of needing to give it all up!?!
Thanks

V

Oh, yes, I am in my second year and are more feeling down than working...I heard it is normal:)

K

Me too!

G

was this just a work thing or did it effect other things in your life i.e social life/relationships? thanks for your support and if u ever want to chat...

W

I had the second year blues really badly. It affected some of my relationships with some friends and family...but only really with people who didn't understand the PhD process!! The others were/ still are more sympathetic and understanding!

G

hey there sorry to hear that, what u going through with it? it feels good to be able to talk to others about it, hope everyone feels the same x

J

i am bored.

V

today is a better day- I started to do some analysis, hope it will go well after 2 weeks of literally doing nothing and even more weeks of thinking about quitting PhD:))) Hope your "ups"as coming as well:)

A

Currently enjoying the second year blues. Realised that on the 1st April, I'll be exactlly half way through my PhD which actually scares me a little. I think the secoind year is were you finally start to find your feet and really realise the amount of work that's a head of you. To combat the blues I'm just making sure I do something that does take me a away from my work and more importantly, but more difficult, to stop thinking about my work for a little while.