Seeking advice re: GRE scores and admission requirements

A

I'm considering a PhD in mass communication. I have a MS in communication (completed in 2002) and seven years' professional experience in public relations and journalism. Currently I am an adjunct lecturer at a state college teaching in the communication studies dept, I have about 30 credits of teaching experience in my field. My eventual goal is a full-time, tenure-track faculty position. I believe that I would be a strong candidate, but I am concerned about my GRE scores.

I have a verbal score in the mid-600s and a 5 on the analytical writing section, so I'm happy with those scores. But I only scored 430 on the quantitative section. Should I take the exam again, or should I expect that my other experience will outweigh the GRE? Clearly I have already established myself as someone who can handle graduate-level work (my final GPA in my master's program was a 3.9) and as someone who can successfully teach at the college level (my course evaluations are all positive). But I still fear outright rejection based on my score alone.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

K

Hi there,

Not all Univ's / Departments require high Quants score for PhD in mass communication. Its varies. Though I feel its bit lower score on ur Quants its better u find out with your Univ's and Depts you want to apply about this. My friend got GRE waived at top Univ with this work exp + publications + very good recos. But not mine. So, as I said, it varies.

With your back ground, you don't sound very bad at all ! Cheerio !

L,
PL.