selecting a university

S

Hi, im new to this forum as im now coming to the end of my masters and seriously thinking of taking up a phd, more specifically in medical engineering. I have been doing a bit of research and have found many university’s offering projects in this area, however now im a bit lost in how to pick the best ones for me. I would really appreciate any advice you all have or even personal recommendations of departments.

M

Hi stickinsect,

I'm looking for PhDs too, but have spoken to friends doing PhDs, and also ex-lecturers. In no particular order, I've been told to consider:

1. The reputation of your potential supervisor. You could see how often he/she publishes, and in which journals. Is he/she an editor of any journals?

2. The reputation of the department and, to a lesser extent, the uni, for research, especialy in your area.

3. The precise subject of the thesis and, possibly more importantly, the techniques in which you will become trained.

4. The town/city in which the university is situated. If you really don't like the place you study, you may well not be happy there.

5. Does the department have any links with other universities or industry?

I think those five are probably the main ones, although I'm sure other people will come up with more

S

6) Whether the topic interests you sufficiently for you to commit to 3+ years.
7) Whether the university actually wants you!

B

Do you like your supervisor? I joined one uni as an undergrad on the the basis that afterwards I would like to do a phd under the principal lecturer (very well published, wellknown, etc, etc, etc) there. After three years I was certain of one thing: I couldn't stand this individual and would probably end up killing him if I had to spend 3 years in close proximity to him!!!

S

Thanks for the advice, thinking about how you get on with you supervisor is an important point. I think I will be most concerned about the location of the university and the reputation of the department.