Selection for Experienced candidates

H

Hi All,

I am Harsh from India. I have 4 years plus experience in Software Industry and have been working with Fortune 10 R&D company. I have a CGPA 2.9 (Low but constantly rising - 2.35,2.35,2.14,2.52,3.0,3.6,3.64,4.0) in Comp SC. Not published any papers, but done some good innovative work while working. I am thinking of pursuing a PhD in Software Engineering - Code Automation. I am thinking of applying by the end of 2011. This gives me an year to prepare.

I would like to know if someone had similar profile and got selected into which USA universities. Also any suggestions from others are welcome as well. Also, is there something i can do in this 1 year's time to boost up my chances.

Thanks
Harsh

N

Harsh,

Is your CGPA the result of undergraduate studies (BA/BSc/LLB)? If not, I think you'll have a hard time getting accepted, because most uni's require you to have a solid degree before they accept you. If you have a degree, preparation is reading a lot about your specific subject, write a good proposal and read some more. Find out about potential supervisors and study their work, etc etc. Also try to find out about funding. Doing a PhD is not cheap for international students in the US or UK/EU, and being funded increases your chances of being accepted, since not all potential supervisors have big budgets etc.

Good luck... it's not easy getting in, but without trying you won't get in anyway :)

H

Thanks for your reply. I have done B.E. in Computer Science. The main thing was, does the work exp count in negating the bad GPA.